Petra tour at night

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petra tour at night

We are visiting Jordan with OAT in November, spending two days in Petra. The Rough Guide says nighttime candlelit/illumination walks are a must do. Has anyone done this? Sounds really magical.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

bump
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:25 AM

Hello,

I haven't done this myself, but I did look into it this year. The tours apparently take place on Thursday and Sunday. If you have a large enough group you may be able to arrange a special tour. Get in touch with OAT and see what they can do for you.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 05:02 AM

We were on the OAT trip to Jordan this past April. The nighttime walk was not available on the night we were there. In order to have a second visit to the Petra site, we had our OAT guide buy us a two-day ticket and arranged with the hotel desk for a taxi to the ruins first thing in the morning. As soon as the ticket-taker arrived to open the gate, we got right in and had almost an hour alone (Well, there were some donkeys and a dog..)to walk the Siq and to wander around near the library. In April it was dark when we left the hotel, but the dawn came while we were walking the Siq. It was an entirely different experience to see it without the huge numbers of people. It was quite cool at that time of the day in early April, as I imagine it would also be in November. We needed warmer clothing in Jordan and were glad we had brought silk long underwear and fleece jackets for layering.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Maria Thanks so much for the reply. And Julian, than you as well!