Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Petra in August: Seems expensive for a short visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/petra-in-august-seems-expensive-for-a-short-visit-932645/)

nrwayne Apr 24th, 2012 09:50 AM

Petra in August: Seems expensive for a short visit

I'll be in Israel in mid-August and have the opportunity for a short visit to Petra. Since I will be staying in Herzliya, I'll need to fly to Eilat, then join a tour up to Petra, stay overnight in Petra, then travel back to Eilat for the return flight to Ben Gurion. For this short visit at what will be a very hot time of the year, my costs will include round-trip airfare, hotel at Eilat, tour cost, border fees, and meals. My estimate: $800-$1,000. I'm sure Petra is interesting, but somehow the combination of August and substantial expense seem to be telling me that this is not a good idea. Am I missing something or should I view this as a "must" regardless of the timing and expense.

alan43 Apr 25th, 2012 06:26 AM

It sounds like a lot of money for just an overnight visit. Petra requires at least one or two overnights.
we stayed at the Movenpick in Petra and they were supposed to send us a taxi to pick us up in Eilat. The cost for the taxi which we wound up getting ourselves was 130 USD each way. The hotel was beautiful and rather expensive. August is a very hot month there. By late afternoon we would go back to the hotel.
food costs were not too bad, we ate in Wadi Musa. There are many restaurants to choose. Of course it's your decision, but it is a great site to visit. It seems like a lot of money for a one day trip.

usd

Elainee Apr 26th, 2012 09:46 AM

But if it is your once chance to go to Petra...go for it. Petra is special and on an overnight visit you will have enough time there for a "good tourist" visit. The Movenpick is a fun hotel and we enjoyed our one night there.

losaltos Apr 26th, 2012 03:21 PM

I agree that one day just isn't really worth it -- and would be frustrating rather than pleasant. If you could do a few more days it would be well worth it -- and perhaps you could add a day down at Wadi Rum which we loved. We also stayed at the Movenpick. And YES it will be HOT in August!

dutyfree Apr 30th, 2012 03:31 PM

We stayed at the Crown Plaza at Petra and it was in a great location for visiting Petra. However,I personally think that Petra is worth two nights and one full day for a visit and DEFINITELY NOT in August-we thought it rather warm in the afternoon in December two years ago? I would also recommend going over to Wadi Rum-beautiful and magical!

balsac May 2nd, 2012 01:15 PM

We just spent two days in Petra. You don't need a pricey tour from Eilat. We started in Eilat and took a taxi to the border, paid the exit tax, entered Jordan. There are taxis waiting. It cost 45 JD to go to Petra. Ask around with other tourists to share a cab as it is one fare for the taxi.
We stayed at the Petra Moon which was a very nice room and 5minute walk to Petra entrance. I agree the best thing to do is spend one night because then you can really appreciate the site in the evening and the next morning without the hordes of tourists. Big difference! Also you should know that a one day pass is about 90JD and a 2 day pass is only 55JD. They ask what hotel you're staying in to give you the better rate.
Next day we took a tour of Wadi Rum run by Petra Moon hotel which included getting into the park, driving to various sites, and then back to the border to leave. This was a little pricey 50JD each but sure was nice to be in a closed vehicle than the open jeeps! Other taxis would have charged only 50 JD for the 4 of us but don't think they would have gotten into the preserved areas.

Be alert, fellow travelers, about bargaining for everything in this area!! It is an amazing place but it is a serious tourist trap. If they say the horses are included in the price, Not True! They hustle you to give big tips. Establish prices first and offer half of what they ask. If they let you walk away then you know you bid too low. Go to the next carriage or horse and bid a little more. I know this can be a hassle but this is the culture and if you don't play the game in a friendly way, they think you're stupid and will happily take your money.
Me and my companions just had the sense we were constantly being hustled (like the hotel calling for a taxi to go to the Turkish baths when it was a 5 minute walk!)
Good luck, and enjoy this absolutely amazing site!

dutyfree May 2nd, 2012 02:26 PM

And don't take the donkey rides up the back side at Petra as they beat the poor things to death to haul the tourists-walk instead!

losaltos May 2nd, 2012 04:04 PM

Totally agree re: the donkey rides. The walk up is not easy but I cringed each time I saw a big tourist on one of those poor donkeys!

MD May 10th, 2012 07:02 PM

We just spent 2 nights at the Movenpick in Wadi Musa across the street from the Petra entrance. Our guide mentioned that they have day tour busses coming from Jerusalem. I had mentioned that our internet reading said it could take all day just to cross the Israeli customs at the bridge from Palestine, he said no, there are companies that do a 1-day trip all the time. In fact, Petra has a 90JD ticket for people who are only doing the day trip, vs the 50JD ticket for the rest of us. (they know how to make money...)

So ask around. I'm sure a 1 day coach tour is not $1000 if basically your goal is to see Petra.

Elainee May 11th, 2012 06:14 AM

We are planning to go in late August...I know...very hot! But the flight from Tel Aviv to Eilat on El Al is about $100 round trip, taxi to border from airport is only 1 mile, taxi to Petra 45 JD (above), Movenpick $120 including breakfast, 55 JD entrance fee.
Not nearly $1000. BUT...we are looking for recommendation for car service from border to Petra and return. We really do not want to bargain with the taxi drivers. Help!!

BostonHarbor May 16th, 2012 10:16 AM

Petra is amazing. I loved every minute. If you have a chance to go, go! Just spread the $800 over the rest of your life in memories. August will be hot however, so you would need to be prepared.

I was there for one night and one full day in relatively cool weather--so I could stay the whole day easily. It was quick, but sufficient to enjoy the majesty of this wonderful rock city.

I would say "yes" it is a must unless you are planning on returning to the region. Then I would go when the weather was cooler.

Elainee May 18th, 2012 06:31 PM

Nobody gave me any suggestions for car service to/from Petra so I arranged with Red Rock for the transportation. Hope this will work just fine.