Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Petra - Hiking Boots and/or Poles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/petra-hiking-boots-and-or-poles-969299/)

AlwaysOnTheRoad Mar 5th, 2013 12:49 PM

Petra - Hiking Boots and/or Poles?

Any thoughts on usefulness of hiking boots and/or hiking poles while sightseeing in Petra.

Elizabeth_S Mar 6th, 2013 01:44 AM

We spent a very long day at Petra and were fine with good quality sneakers - we didn't do the very long hikes but did walk up and down to the Monastery. No need for poles unless you have mobility issues. Have a great time!

Leslie_S Mar 6th, 2013 05:09 AM

Ditto to that...we wore trainers and were fine.

thursdaysd Mar 6th, 2013 06:07 AM

I wore boots, but I wear boots for travel in any case. For most of it trainers/sneakers would be fine, but scrambling around above the Royal Tombs I was glad of boots and a stick.

lucy_d Mar 6th, 2013 03:22 PM

I agree with Elizabeth and Leslie. No need for hiking boots or poles.

colduphere Mar 7th, 2013 05:40 AM

That's good news as we are on our way there and we left the boots and poles at home.

colduphere Mar 11th, 2013 04:59 AM

We just finished touring Petra an hour ago. I am with Thursdaysd. Most of the time my trail running shoes were fine. There were places I wished I was wearing hiking boots. I did not feel the need for poles.

thursdaysd Mar 11th, 2013 06:47 AM

Hi cold - hope you enjoyed Petra!

colduphere Mar 11th, 2013 09:54 AM

Hi Thursdaysd - Petra is clearly one of the most amazing places we have been. After the Treasury we found the appearance similar to Cappadocia, which is fascinating as well. I will google that comparison when we get home to see if others have thought the same thing or whether we were hallucinating. We did not make it to the Monastery. My wife tripped and banged up her knee so we turned around near the bottom of that climb.

And we met some very funny and clever touts. I will write a brief trip report when we get home.

thursdaysd Mar 11th, 2013 10:48 AM

cold - Cappadocia? Hmmm, didn't say that to me, but I think of the towers when I think of Cappadocia rather than the rock dwellings. I do think the swirling rock patterns at Petra are sui generis, but you do have to do some climbing to see them.

So sorry to hear about your wife's accident! I have traveled several times with foot trouble, so I know what it's like to be limping when you want to sight-see. Ice and rest.... (I have used cans from the in-room minibar when no ice was available.)

Ozarksbill Mar 12th, 2013 04:42 PM

Petra is special, isn't it? You do step back in time. First a donkey ride through the siq as you come upon the formations.
We didn't hike much but you could climb around as you wish. And do take time just to take take it all in. Wonder what the price is nowadays?

colduphere Mar 15th, 2013 04:56 AM

It cost us about $75 a person. Pretty steep

thursdaysd Mar 15th, 2013 05:35 AM

Wow, that is pricy. Was that just the entramce fee or did it include things like donkey rides that I didn't do?