Petra by horseback

Jul 30th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Ty

Petra by horseback

We have recently returned from Peru and are considering a trip later this year to Jordan. We are interested in a 7-10 day tour that includes, among other major sites, Petra. I have heard that you can do Petra on horseback. Has anyone does this? how was it?what type of ride was it and the condition of the horses? Could you also recommend a good/safe/reliable and fairly priced tour group? I see a lot of posts on Jordaon Holidays but no comments from those who used them. Thanks..also if you want any info on Peru, Egypt, Korea, Finland, and Germany (Munich), please write. I have been to all in the past 6 months.

Jul 30th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Ginger

Well, you can enter Petra on horseback, you start out in the Wadi and then go down the Siq into Petra. But you leave the horse once you enter and actually go around Petra on foot. Or at least I have never seen anyone actually inside Petra on a horse. Horseride last about 15 minutes. You agree an approximate time for leaving and horse is waiting for you near the Treasury to take you out again.

Aug 1st, 2001, 05:13 AM
Edith

I didn't actually ride the horses in Petra, but I did see some people riding donkeys and taking carriages. Several of the horses I saw pulling those carriages were in terrible shape, including two that limped horribly. If you're going to be in Jordan for a couple of days, perhaps Wadi Rum might be a better choice on horseback. I don't know for sure that they do it, but it's much more conducive to riders. Petra doesn't seem to me to be all that rider-focused. Most people are walking around, and I would think all those walkers would get in the way.

Aug 1st, 2001, 02:59 PM
kang

I don't see why you would want to do Petra on horseback. The distance that the horse ride covers is a very comfortable walking distance. Too short on th bare road, the horseride couldn't be for fun either.

For people with physical needs, carriage is a good alternative.

Search this Thread