Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Petra (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/petra-540823/)

Weezie Jun 30th, 2005 06:55 PM

Petra

Thinking about how we are going to visit Petra from Jerusalem. 1. My original plan was to try to do it on our own, which then got morphed into taking an overnight in Jordan. My husband says an overnight is too much but I am worried about how long it will take to get past the border. Do we just let go of the idea of doing it on our own and take a one day tour from our hotel? Will this be too much crammed in or is it the easier way to go? 2. Is trying to go to Petra in mid-July insanity with regard to the heat? We live in Maryland and sometimes we have 100 degrees with intense humitity. Is it worse than that?

sandi Jul 1st, 2005 04:06 AM

Weezie - Before I answer, I'd like to suggest you keep all posts regarding the same subject together under one thread. It'll be easier for you to find and others to responde.

Now for Petra from JER. As mentioned, the Allenby Bridge isn't the best crossing spot into Jordan, but it's done. You'd have to check with your hotel or whomever you arrange this day-trip. Regardless, it will be a very long day, not returning until late.

July will be hot, hot and more hot. Whether you live in Maryland with HHH or not, you'll have to be prepared for desert heat.

Even if you could arrange to spend a few days in Eilat, from which there is a much easier border crossing and shorter distance to Petra - July is going to be brutal. The only place you will want to be is in a pool. Walking even a block in that heat is trying.

It'll have to be your decision to make.
Or arrange another trip to the area - return to Israel, or visit Egypt with a Jordan pre-/post-trip, or Jordan only when the weather is more comfortable - October or November are good for all three countries.

moschops Jul 1st, 2005 06:37 AM

yep - Jul will be hot - I was there end of May and the temps were hitting the 40's
look at the transfer times from jerusalem to petra - it is a vast site - i was on site from 8.30 to 4 and only scratched the surface - also drank 3 1/2 litres of water with the heat
One site that people miss is little petra - where the people of petra actually loved (petra is a funerary centre) - if you stayed overnight that woudl give the time to see little petra

moschops Jul 1st, 2005 06:40 AM

sorry for spelling !!! i meant 'where the peole of petra actually lived!'
(its fri, lunchtime, we've all been to the pub.......)

Weezie Jul 1st, 2005 02:14 PM

Thanks for the posting suggestions sandi. I am more used to the Europe forum where the responses come quickly which is why I started different threads in the hopes that I'd get more responses.

I am now rethinking Petra with our schedule and the heat (boo hoo). We have business in Tel Aviv so no flexibility in the date of visit. I am really just trying to cram Petra in because I want to go so badly and I'm not sure when we'll be able to afford to come back. I appreciate your information, sandi and moschops. I don't know anyone who has ever been to Israel/Jordon so I am really counting on advice from fellow travelers.