Persian city

Mar 8th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Antoinette Thiele

Persian city

Just wondering if someone would know about a city in Persia (now Iran) called Taviriz?
My grandfather has that city listed as the city he was born in. Also, his mother was killed in the 1925 earthquake in that area.
I can't find this city listed on the map. I know there is a city called Tabriz in Iran.
But Taviriz is definitly listed as his birth city. I'm trying to find out more about that area to search for my ancestors.
His name was Petros Jacob (Peter Jacob).
If anyone could shed some light on this area of interest to me, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Mar 13th, 2001, 01:32 AM
paul

try to ask this to my friend Richard, perhaps he could help You, he knows a few guys in the Iran. is email is
[email protected]

Mar 13th, 2001, 03:22 PM
John

Antoinette, Tavriz (only 1 "i") is a common spelling for Tabriz, which is certainly a city which has been devastated by earthquakes on a number of occasions. Petros is a reasonably common name in Armenian and Azerbaizhani (as well as Greek and several other languages), which are cultures commonly associated with that area of Iran. I'm betting it was Tabriz. There was a huge earthquake in that area in 1927, BTW. Could that be the one?

Apr 17th, 2001, 11:07 PM
Marty

Hi Antoinette,

Tabriz is a city in northern Iran, Azerbijan Province, west of the Caspian Sea.

Salamatee
Marty

Search this Thread