Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Permethrin-Yes or no (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/permethrin-yes-or-no-829374/)

Old_dude Mar 4th, 2010 05:34 PM

Permethrin-Yes or no

73 days and counting..... I have been given some advice to use Permethrin to treat our clothing before our safari. What do the more experienced travelers think about this?
Our safari is Kenya and Tanzania late May. (Yes, Larsens was on our itinerary, we are waiting to hear more on alternatives from Daniel.)
Thanks

sandi Mar 5th, 2010 07:38 AM

Permethrin won't help much with tse-tse bites which are often encountered in woodlands. If these critters are going to bite, be prepared for a nasty one and work thru it. Otherwise, if you read the many threads, few visitors actually are bothered by or ever get mossie bites.

Personally, in 16/yrs, I rarely have used repellent and except for a few bites gotten in Nairobi, which at 5,000' ft and cold at nite shouldn't be a hotbed of mossies... this hasn't been an issue.

Granted some people are magnets for all kinds of flying things, but if you're not, why bother treating your clothing for the time and expense. Rather, during mossie biting time - dusk/dawn - do what is advised... wear long pants, sleeves, socks and apply repellent to exposed hands.

sundowner Mar 5th, 2010 08:41 AM

I picked up a tick on a hike in Kenya and got African tick fever. That will mess up your day(s). Other than that and tse-tse's, not many bugs at all. Permethrin may have stopped the tick but I didn't use it.

ShayTay Mar 5th, 2010 08:59 AM

I'd use it. Certainly, it wouldn't hurt and could help with mosquitos, ticks, etc. Don't forget to treat your socks because of the walks, as Sundowner notes.

Lillipets Mar 5th, 2010 04:23 PM

Just be very careful if you own cats. Permethrin is VERY toxic to cats. If you apply to any clothing be sure your cat(s) do not get in contact with it.
This is a very common dog flea/tick product that has killed many cats.

Old_dude Mar 5th, 2010 08:03 PM

Lillipets, Thank you, if something happened to my wife's cat, I shudder to think of the consequences. I guess I will not use the permethrin.

atravelynn Mar 6th, 2010 10:16 AM

You'll be fine without it Old Dude and you'll keep your wife happy.

spassvogel Mar 7th, 2010 09:15 AM

Doing safaris for almost 20 years in Southern and East Arfica to all thinkable seasons: Never used any Repellent to my clothing as preparation for a trip.

Just be careful when doing walks that you don't knee into a tick nest which can really have an impact.

TAZ - Tarangire and Wtsrern Serengeti (Grumeti) we experienced Tsetse flies which are really nasty.

We use repellent (and hope it works), cover ourselves according to the circumstances and we were fine.

Happy travels.

SV ((@))

PS
Lillipets
THX for the input regarding cats. Not that I would ever think of using it. But it makes clear how sensitive our pets are and how little thoughts we spend on things which might have an impact.

LyndaS Mar 7th, 2010 09:41 AM

Thankyou from me too Lillipets, I had no idea! I had Permithrin in my cupboard, but never used it. I think I threw it out during a spring clean last year, but if I didn't - out it goes!

Lillipets Mar 7th, 2010 01:23 PM

I think it's safe once it's dry, but why take the chance?
There have been deaths of cats simply because people put the product on their dog and the cat licked it off or accidentally got it on its own fur.