Search

Bug suits? Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:35 PM
steven

Bug suits? Necessary?

The outfitting stores offer a mosquito netting outfit with hood, jacket, pants and socks that fit over regular clothing.The suggestion is to put DEET on one's clothes and the "Bug suit" over that. Does anyone ever wear these on "luxury" safaris? Are they necessary? Recommended?<BR>We will be in Kenya later in May during the end of the rainy season, with some stays in tented camps.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Patricia

Just returned recently from an April safari in Kenya. No tented camps, so I don't know what you'd find there (though we talked to some people we met on the way who'd stayed in mostly tented camps and they didn't mention anything about mosquitoes. We asked them about bugs and they said they weren't a problem.) But, staying in lodges I got a total of 2 mosquito bites within minutes of each other and nothing more after that, and they head for me first thing. We even got a little lax with the deet after awhile. Can't speak for May, but April was fine

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:14 PM
smallsal

You must be kidding, right?<BR>Are they necessary? No <BR>Recommended? No<BR>I go to Africa on safari for the last 8 years and I never saw anyone wearing such thing.<BR>Let me know in what camps and what dates are you going to be there. I want to see this so I won't have to say I never saw anyone wearing such thing.<BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:17 PM
yyy

That is one of the silliest things I've hear all year! LOL!!!

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:30 PM
j

I'm big on anti-bug things, but went to Kenya without the bug suit. In fact, the one place I have ever seen the bug suit actually being worn was in Papua New Guinea (even there, I don't know how necessary it is).<BR><BR>I would definitely recommend Deet on one's clothes. There are also special lotions you can put on cotton and then on your skin (i.e. putting it on without using your hands) which I would recommend using.

Old May 17th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Patricia

I really don't think it's necessary to ridicule this guy. If you've never been there and if your experience with mosquitoes is that they rub their hands in glee and yell "Dessert!" when they see you (as is my case), you would naturally be concerned. And some of us really suffer for days afterward. But, as I said above, I only got 2 bites in 12 days in Kenya and S.Africa. I think Florida is much worse than Kenya or Egypt (where I got a total of 3 in 2 weeks and that was on the river). Of course, conditions differ from one week to the next. But, please cut the guy a break!

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:58 AM
yyy

Not ridiculing steven, but making a lot of fun at that ridiculous product! Heck if you need protection wear jeans and a long sleeved shirt and put a few inches of duct tape around the ankles and wrists. Then Deet it. Simple, cheaper, lighter luggage.