Pemba, Zanzibar

Nov 7th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Pemba, Zanzibar

I'm planning to visit Pemba Island (Zanzibar) in Feb/March of 2006. I'm 21, caucasian, non-muslim, female, travelling alone on my first trip abroad (from Australia). That being said, does anyone have any safety tips ect?

I'm planning to stay on Pemba for 1 month. I want to get a feel for the culture of the island, and hopefully travel mostly outside of the major centres. I'm not very interested in diving, mostly the people. Has anyone any information on how the locals feel about photography?

Does anyone know of accommodation outside of Chake-Chake, Wete and Mkoani (or the resorts); or know anything about camping regulations? Does anyone have any info on the accomodation within Chake-Chake, Wete and Mkoani?

Does anyone know of a detailed (and accurate) map? There appears to be lots of conflicting information.

Does anyone know anything about particular towns or islands. I've read that the people on Kojani Island are not as friendly, is this actually the case?

Does anyone know what the local women wear when the swim (if they do!)? I plan to be covered from neck to wrist to ankle for sunburn reasons anyway, but does anyone think it would help to have a head covering too?

Any information on the various animals/snakes i need to be wary of? Also any plants?

Has anyone taken the feery from Dar to Pemba? What about Tanga? Does anyone know if there is a ferry that docks in Wete?

Cheers.

Search this Thread