Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Paying trip with credit card (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/paying-trip-with-credit-card-553585/)

lyban Aug 22nd, 2005 05:21 PM

Paying trip with credit card

Does anyone know if most operators in East Africa accept credit cards for payment of trips. I know there would be a charge, but I still think this might be the way to go. I am dealing with essafari.co.ke or it might be another operator. I think Patty might have been the one to use essafari, so maybe she would know.Any advantages to not using the credit card.

jasher Aug 23rd, 2005 03:06 AM

Hello,

Paying by debit card or cheque is usually cheaper, as many companies charge a 2-3% fee for credit card use. However, the protection afforded by using a credit card (e.g. if the company goes bankrupt or something else goes wrong) is, in my opinion, worth the money.

Cheers,
Julian

Avogadro Aug 23rd, 2005 10:43 AM

I'm with Jasher.

Pay the deposit on credit card, especially if the deposit is due many months before the service is rendered. Think of the additional expense as insurance. Plus, you can collect Aeroplan points if you're using a CIBC Aerogold card!

alwaysafrica Aug 23rd, 2005 10:46 AM

I agree that paying by credit card would be ideal (we pay everything by credit card, if possible :-) Having said that, the tour operator that we used (East African Safari and Touring Co.), as well as several others that we contacted (including some of the bigger ones like Roy Safaris, I believe) don't accept credit cards because the fees are too high on their end... we had to pay by wire transfer, like it or not.

Patty Aug 23rd, 2005 08:47 PM

lyban,
I did pay our deposit to E&S by credit card and there was a 5% surcharge to do so. I then paid our balance in travelers checks on arrival. For this upcoming trip in November, I'm sending them wire transfers for both the deposit and balance. The only advantage I can see of not using a credit card is saving the surcharge which can get hefty with a longer safari. But I think you're only going for 2-3 nights, correct? If that's the case, I would just pay by credit card as a wire transfer fee would probably cost you close to the same amount.

lyban Aug 24th, 2005 11:03 AM

Patty,
Yes, I am working with E & S safari company now. It is a short safari, that is why I am agreeing with you and would like to pay by credit card.Thanks for the heads-up on this company, Serah has been great so far. Just a couple of things to verify and I might be finalized by weekend. Being from Canada, puts the prices a little higher since everything is in US Dollars also the fact that I am a single (another expense)and I would like everything done by one company even every pick-up and transportation because I am alone.

Patty Aug 24th, 2005 12:28 PM

I'm glad things are working well with E&S. My experience with Serah is that she's very responsive (and patient with my countless changes ;) ) and that's why we chose them the first time around and will be using them again later this year. They handled all of our transfers as well and if I were traveling alone, this is definitely what I would do. Hope you have a great trip!

jasher Aug 25th, 2005 03:20 AM

Hello,

What is the full name of E&S safari company? It sounds like a good company and I'd like to check it out.

Cheers,
Julian

sandi Aug 25th, 2005 03:40 AM

jasher -

E&S is East(ern)&Southern Safaris, based of NBO.