Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   passport question (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/passport-question-529197/)

birder57 May 15th, 2005 08:35 AM

passport question

I am travelling to southern Africa June 15-June 29. I am finding differing statements re what is needed re passports. Has anyone recently travelled to CapeTown, J'burg, Vic Falls (Zimbabwe), and/or Chobe, Botswana: and if so, did you have to have 3 sets of facing pages clear in your passport? What about visa (I am from Florid). Thanks Susan(birder 57)[email protected]

jcasale May 15th, 2005 09:10 AM

Hmmmm....we are doing almost the exact same locations on similar dates. Cape Town, Sabi Sands, Jo'burg, Vic Falls (Zimbabwe) and Botswana (Okavanga Delta) leaving June 17th and returning July 1st. I am told by our travle agent (and have confirmed in travel guides) that we need 2 blank pages for South Africa (preferrably next to each other). We will also need to get a Visa in Zimbabwe (it will be issued upon arrival - very easy I'm told) so I figure we need a page for that. Probably something to be stamped in Botswana. We are from Illinois. Hope this helps. Where are you staying? We are staying in:
Cape Town - Portswood Hotel
Sabi Sands - Elephant PLains Game LOdge
Jo'burg - Balalaika
Vic Falls - Ilala Lodge
Okavanga Delta - Nxabega Safari Camp
Have a great trip!

kerikeri May 15th, 2005 10:48 AM

here's a helpful tip and story:

1. if you are down to the last few pages, and you have 6 weeks before your trip, send your passport in for more pages (assuming florid means florida, a state in the usa). you can pay a little more for rush service.

2. a couple joined our safari camp with this story: they flew all the way from canada to south africa only to be turned away because they thought "since they were from canada and not the usa they didn't need the blank pages." they were forced back to paris and had to have new passports issued there before they could fly to africa again and join their vacation already underway.

better to inconvenience yourself now than later.

sandi May 15th, 2005 11:44 AM

birder -

I know SA requests that you have two blank pages, preferrably facing. However, I'm looking at my entry "temporary resident" stamp and all the others ins/outs... all are on one page. That included our initial entry at JNB; departure from JNB to VFA; then back from VFA into JNB; and our final departure from JNB.

For VFA, their Visa covers the entire page upon entry; then exit from Zim on our way to Chobe on this page; the subsequent return from Botswana to Zim and final departure from VFA are on the facing second page.

The entry and departure stamps for Botswana - anywhere there was room.

I believe you need at least 2-sets of facing pages at minimum. If you don't have them, do as mentioned above, send away for additional pages to be added to your passport. You can probably download the form from the Passport website. If I recall, I had my passport returned within 2-weeks. While there is no charge for these pages to be added, you're cutting it close... so I'd use some expedite service. Or include a letter advising that you need the passport/s returned quickly. Call the Passport office if need be.

birder57 May 15th, 2005 12:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies; they were/are greatly helpful. I will call the passport company tomorrow. I wonder why my tour company did not advise me of this....
Jcasale: we will fly to J'burg, then to Cape Town, staying at Villa Rosa. From C'Town, to Balule Reserve & Kruger, staying at Treemisana Wildlife Lodge; then to Vic Falls, Zimbabwe, staying at A'Zambezi River Lodge; from there to Chobe Safari Lodge, and from there back to J'burg to fly home. Have you heard of any of these places we are staying?
We are so excited.
thanks again, folks. this site is really great, and everyone so friendly and respectful. Susan