"Participation" safari with Drifters

Mar 17th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

"Participation" safari with Drifters

Has anyone taken a camping "participation" safari through Drifters Aventours? I am thinking of taking their 16-Day Overland Botswana tour. I'd like to know what kind of experiences people have had with Drifters tours.

I know it will require setting up and taking down camp, cooking, and other sorts of "roughing it" type of things-- I'm fine with that. Can anyone give me a better idea of just how "rough" that is, though?

Thanks!
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM

I have done 2 tours with Drifters, both accommodated, so I can't comment on the camping safaris. Last year I did their 5 day Kruger trip where we stayed in Drifters cabins and Inns. However, we still had to help with meal preparation, cooking and clearing up - the workload was OK. This involved manual lifting and hauling of heavy kitchen and dining equipment, some of which is packed in metal boxes. The crockery was 'mess style' stainless steel, the food was good and there was plenty of it.

The guide last year said the new vehicles are more modular and have built-in and drop down work surfaces and storage - this would certainly be easier.

Drifters do great airport transfers from JNB to their Inn at Northcliff which is basic but comfortable and is usually full of other travellers all with interesting stories to tell. The staff at the Inn and the guides are helpful and pleasant and very concerned for passenger welfare and safety.

If you are going to Botswana, you might be interested to know that the Maun camp is a long, long way from town and that the distance precludes going out at night and shopping in Maun.

Drifters are a reliable and responsible company with good vehicles employing a large local staff. Their product is quite good as long as you are not expecting too much comfort. Remember, their motto is roughing it and loving it - or similar.

Cheers,

Polly.

Search this Thread