Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Johannesburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/park-hyatt-johannesburg-584768/)

travelwmn Jan 24th, 2006 03:07 PM

Park Hyatt Johannesburg

We're currently booked at the Sandton Sun & Towers for one night on our upcoming safari. We had stayed there years ago and our group likes being connected to a shopping mall. I'd really prefer to stay at the newer Park Hyatt (frequent guest points), but am not sure if there is a shopping mall there as well. I think there is, but I've had a hard time confirming that. If there is, how big is it?

moremiles Jan 24th, 2006 05:08 PM

Yes, there is a mall attached to the Park Hyatt but it's not huge but at least you can walk around it night-there was plenty of security when we were there. There also are a couple of restaurants but can't comment on those. The Park Hyatt is not the usual standard for Park Hyatt's but ok for a short visit.

Roccco Jan 24th, 2006 05:15 PM

travelwmn,

Another excellent hotel in Sandton Squaure to consider is the Michelangelo. While it is a bit pricey, it is a wonderful venue and is connected to Sandton Square. The Michelangelo has a great restaurant for either dinner or just for your buffet breakfast in the morning. One of the best buffet breakfasts I have ever enjoyed with impeccable service in both the restaurant and in the hotel, in general.

DJE Jan 24th, 2006 05:33 PM

Also stayed at the Michelangelo and liked the fact that it was attached to the mall so you could safely walk about and get some exercise and browse in the shops. It's a good quality hotel with all the amenities. Our room was nicely furnished and very comfortable and we had no issues with the service provided.

ArthurSA Jan 24th, 2006 10:56 PM

Although the Mall adjoining the Park Hyatt is small, the much larger Rosebank Mall and "The Zone" across the "road" from the Rosebank Mall (actually a pedestrian walkway now) are a short walk away. The Rosebank Mall includes the African Craft Market (open every day) and the larger Rosebank Market (open Sundays and Public holidays).

ArthurSA Jan 24th, 2006 11:27 PM

For a map of Rosebank, go to www.joburg.org.za/tourists/maps.stm. (That's the official Jo'burg website, a good source of info.) You can walk through The Firs (the Mall adjoining the Park Hyatt), then The Mews (more shops), to the Rosebank Mall. Shown on the map is the older "Mutual Square shops, the newer "The Zone" is also in that area.

So no individual Malls as large as Sandton City, but in total plenty of shops, cinemas, coffe bars, and restaurants. They span several blocks, as you will see from the map.

jasher Jan 25th, 2006 02:34 PM

Hello,

If you wanted to stay in Rosebank, the Grace is attached to the Rosebank Mall.

Cheers,
Julian

Mediatorr Jan 29th, 2006 10:04 PM

How does the Grace compare to the Michelangelo or the Saxon?