Search

sleeper train

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleeper train

I am planning a trip to Egypt March 2004. I would like to keep it on a low budget and travel by sleeper train at night. Any ideas how I make a reservation from the US ahead of time.

Also is it possible to see Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simble and Hurghada in only 9 full days.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:09 AM

I've taken the Wagon Lits sleeper train twice before and found it comfortable. Dinner and breakfast served, a little sink in the room and bunk beds. The toilet is down the hall and the worst part of the experience. There's also a club car if you want to socialize. I don't know of a way to get tickets in the US, and Ramses station is a zoo for getting any kind of train tickets. I was able to pick up tickets at a travel agent. It was a number of years ago but the travel books say about the same thing now. I did see a posting on the internet for a different line that I'm inquiring about. It's the Abela Egypt Sleeping trains. Their site is www.sleepingtrains.com It says you can book reservations on line. I haven't tried yet so if you do let me know.
I also did the first class-overnight train with the reclining seats and it's doable, but noisy. I'm going to Egypt in about a month and plan on using one of the sleeper trains.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

I will try the online website and I will post any information that I get. Thanks so much for your help.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:45 AM

I found out that the abela train is the same as the Wagon Lits train
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 06:51 AM

It is, look at th easnwer i just received from my Agent:
Dear Alejandra .
Please note that we booked at ABELA EGYPT SLEEPER TRAIN DEPART CAIRO AT 08.0 P.M. / ARRIVE ASWAN AT 09.00 A.M.
ONE TWIN BEDCABIN ( ALL CABINS ARE SEPARATE & PRIVATE )
There is no Wagon - Lit More , it is now ABELA EGYPT 1ST CLASS SLEEPER TRAIN.

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM

I just returned from Egypt, the train was very disappointing....delay, dirty, small cabins, horrible food, etc. But then again, its another experience and i dont regret it. We maybe expected a little more of it but apparently since this Egyptian company Abela took over from Wagon Lits the quality has drastically gone down. we took the train from Cairo to Aswan. Actually there was a bar that served all sorts of alcoholic drinks, decided to have some drinks to get a good sleep, unfortunately it was en extremely bumpy ride....If you board a nice cruise upon arrival in Aswan the trainride really is forgotten very soon.