Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Pam, I leave for SA in three days...any last second suggestions?!...

Pam, I leave for SA in three days...any last second suggestions?!...

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Rocco

Pam, I leave for SA in three days...any last second suggestions?!...

And you must give me a sneak preview of Singita! I fly from LAX-JFK-Johannesburg, overnight at Rosebank Hotel, short flight to Skukuza, transfer to Singita for two nights, return to Joburg-Capetown, late arrival in Capetown, four nights at Table Bay Hotel, Capetown-Victoria Falls, three nights at Matetsi Game Lodge, return to Capetown, two nights at Mount Nelson Hotel, last two nights at Grande Roche in Paarl! Can hardly wait.

Mar 5th, 2002, 11:12 AM
pam

Rocco,

You are going to have a fabulous time!!!!!

I must tell you that Singita WAS the highlight of our trip. We stayed at the Boulders Lodge and our room was beyond words. Get ready for a wonderful stay. The lodge is run very efficiently. The food was some of the best we had in Africa (including Constantia Uitsig, Buitenverwachting, and this fabulous 12 course "African Feast" that we had in a private home!). The lodge is a completely no hassle, no stress environment. The service is outstanding and genuine. Be sure to have Alan, the lodge manager, show you his well stocked wine cellar. Once you meet Alan, you will know why his lodge was rated 100% by CondeNast readers last year. A lodge is only as good as the manager. I am returning to SA next year, just to stay at Singita...and the Cape Grace.

After Singita we went to Londolozi Tree Camp, which turned out to be a little bit of a disappointment after Singita. I will give more details later.

Is it too late to change your accommodation in Cape Town from the Table Bay to the Cape Grace? We found the Cape Grace to be quite wonderful. Again, the service is outstanding. They also offer free transfers in their fleet of BMWs within 10KM of the hotel. (Table Mountain cable car, downtown, Camps Bay….)

We had afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson…the hotel itself appears a little shabby, but it is nicely located at the foot of Table Mountain.

Restaurants in Cape Town:

DO NOT go to Vilamoura in Camp Bay. Everyone recommended it when we arrived in Cape Town. It was the only meal that we did not enjoy in SA. (It was also the most expensive!) Our red wine was HOT, our fish overcooked, and my oysters….it was awful.

DO try the following if possible:

Constantia Uitsig-In the Constantia wine lands
Buitenverwachting- Also in the Constantia wine lands. (Great for a lunch venue)
Panama Jacks- A local eatery highly recommended by all of our drivers.

We also arranged a private dinner, mentioned above, through the Cape Grace. We really were not certain what to expect, but it turned out to be a wonderful treat! We arrived at a private home overlooking Camps Bay and the Twelve Apostles in the background at sunset. 10 additional party guests arrived, all local South Africans. We shared drinks, a wonderful 12 course meal, and intriguing conversations. The dinner is only available through the Cape Grace, and I highly recommend it.

The Grande Roche: I believe that you are staying there on the “Grapes of the Cape” package, if I remember correctly from a previous post! This means that you should have the Terrace room, you will love it. The grounds are lovely and tranquil. I will not spoil it for you; you will have to wait until you get there. Our only concern with the Grand Roche is that there service seemed a little “off” during our stay. I am certain that this was a glitch, as the hotel is known for wonderful service. One suggestion for you, if you have the chance, is to arrange for a sunset picnic on the lake of Rhebokskloof Estate.

Victoria Falls: Do not be overly concerned about trouble in the Victoria Falls area…they need your business. Do not forget to bring an umbrella to the falls, and wear waterproof shoes!

Anyway, I will have a more detailed posting of my entire trip sometime next week. I leave for San Francisco tomorrow morning and won’t be back until Sunday night. UGH!

Pam

Mar 5th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Rocco

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, I only finalized my lodging about three weeks ago and the Cape Grace was sold out. Trust me, that was my first choice as well, but the Table Bay Hotel seemed to be the next best in the immediate area. Ellerman House looked incredible, but it seemed a little far from the action.
I am looking forward to your report. Please post it as soon as possible so that I have a chance to see it before I leave on Friday! Thanks again.

Mar 5th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Rocco

Pam,
Oops, sorry I just read that you'll be gone til Sunday. Thanks for the sneak preview and I am sure I will sneak down to the business center as soon as I get to the Table Bay Hotel on about my 4th day. to read your report.

Search this Thread