Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Paging King re Il Ngwesi (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/paging-king-re-il-ngwesi-407001/)

SusanLynne Mar 5th, 2004 03:49 AM

Paging King re Il Ngwesi

King, could you tell me how many nights you spent at Il Ngwesi and if you felt you should have stayed a longer or shorter amount of time? Were meals a set menu or the usual buffet? I am seriously considering staying here ... and while all the information on it sounds ideal, there is nothing like hearing from someone who has been. Thanks in advance!

king Mar 5th, 2004 08:50 AM

I stayed 2 nights simply because I also stayed at Lewa. This is more than enough. If you are not staying at Lewa then I would increase it to 3 nights.

I had a guide called James who is superb. You should find out if he is going to be there. You really want their top guide to be there.

The food was not fancy but well cooked and well presented. I noted down the sort of things I had:

Breakfast - Cooked English Breakfast eggs, bacon, sausage, mushroom, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, toast, fruit, cereal. On one of the days we took a bush walk along the river bed and asked them to prepare a breakfast in the bush, which they did in the open-air. They had the table and chairs laid out and it was wonderful. Book this in advance or the day before.

Lunch (served + buffet) - if at the lodge:
Chilled Avocado Soup and Gazpacho Soup
Platter of cold meat or Quiche (had a choice of spaghetti bolognese but declined it)
Lots of different salads
Fruit and cheese board
Tea/coffee (ask them for proper cafetiere coffee as they had instant at the time)

Dinner (served at the table unless you ask them to do a barbecue by the pool):
Cream of Pea soup or Carrot soup (they do like their soups!)
Lamb stew or grilled/barbecued meat
Rice or potato (to your taste)
Vegetables
Cheese or Chocolate cake
Cheese Board
Tea/Coffee

The chef at the lodge is used to guests bringing their own supplies (as the lodge can be hired on self-catering basis)and has therefore been exposed to several different types of recipes and can easily adapt to suit your tastes. If you require anything special or have a menu in mind I suggest you email them in advance.

Drinks can be bought there but the wine wasn't good. Perhaps take a bottle or two with you.

You must do a sundowner on one of the hills facing the Northern Frontier District. You can walk or drive to the base of the hill. The climb wasn't too taxing.

SusanLynne Mar 5th, 2004 12:33 PM

Thanks, King. I am leaning towards Il Ngwesi (2 nights), Lewa Downs (3 nights) and Meru (3 nights). Did you drive from Lewa to Il Ngwesi or vice versa or fly? Did you feel that Il Ngwesi was at all repetitive of Lewa Downs? Also, what time of year did you travel to Il Ngwesi? Sorry to ask the questions, but "inquiring minds want to know." Thanks in advance.

SusanLynne Mar 6th, 2004 03:46 PM

topping off

king Mar 8th, 2004 01:10 AM

I went in Feb. The drive from Lewa to Il Ngwesi is only about sixty minutes so there is no need to fly. Il Ngwesi was a different experience altogether I felt. I particularly liked the fact that the local community was in charge and also the enjoyed the location, scenery, accommodation and sleeping under the stars. I would do it again but my next visit would be to Tassia. If you like walking then you can walk from Il Ngwesi to Tassia.

SusanLynne Mar 8th, 2004 02:20 AM

Thank you very much, King. Appreciate the input.