Search

Pafuri Tented Camp

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pafuri Tented Camp

Has anyone stayed at Pafuri Tented Camp in Northern Kruger National Park? It is in a more remeote area than further south in the park.
If so what is your opinion of it and also what time of the year were you there? How about the wildlife sightings?
Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM
bwanamitch

tigerpaw,

the camp is just one month open, so recommendations about best times are hardly available.

Look at the first WS camp report at
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/updates/...l05.htm#pafuri

Mitch

PS: Obviously the WS server is down at the moment. Does anybody have information on this?

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Hello,

I haven't stayed at Parfuri, but I have visited that area. In general the game viewing in the northern Kruger area isn't nearly as good as that further south. There are fewer animals, and they are not as acclimated to vehicles and tend to be more skittish. However, it's a very remote area which may appeal to you if you're looking for a 'wilder' experience than that prevalent down south.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Mitch,
Thanks for the link....lots of good information there on many camps.
Guess it is too soon for much info on Pafuri. It is an option on a tour we are considering for 2006.

Julian,
Appreciate the report on northern Kruger. Since our main interest is wildlife, we should probably consider further south. Any recommendations on moderately priced places with good game viewing?
Thanks
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 02:11 AM

Hello,

What is your price range? The best game viewing in the Kruger area is in the Sabi Sands, a group of private game reserves to the west of the Kruger boundary. There are a lot of different lodges in various price ranges, though those with the best game viewing and/or a lot of land which is exclusively theirs tend to be expensive.

Are you travelling alone or in a group? This can also make a big difference in your pricing, as the single supplements at some of the less expensive lodges can make them very pricey for single people.

There are a couple of good threads on this forum with information about various Sabi Sands camps. One is called 'URGENT: Safari in South Africa'.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Julian,
I will check into some of the places you mention in the URGENT post. The Inyati Reserve seems to have a reasonable price. Also maybe Simbambili. We will probably go in the shoulder or Emerald season for better pricing--hopefully 300.00-400.00pp/pd-- as long as there would be good game viewing and guides at that time.
There will be just 2 of us--myself and husband. We are flexible in location and time of year in 2006.....Doesn't have to be Sabi Sands if gaming is good in other locations.
Thanks for any suggestions. This is our first and probably only safari.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Hello,

Unlike in other African countries, the 'off season' in South Africa is NOT the green season -- it's actually the dry season (June-September). Many of the Sabi Sands lodges have great deals then. The Sabi Sands is the best game-viewing area in South Africa, so you probably want to go there for your safari.

If you think this may be your only safari, I'd also recommend spending a bit more to go with one of the top-drawer reserves -- you won't regret it. As you've probably read on the 'URGENT' thread, I wholeheartedly recommend Londolozi -- smart accommodation and first-class guiding. It's not cheap, but it's very good value for money.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Julian,
Thanks. Even though Londolozi is more than we should spend, I will check into finding the best price and see if we can afford it. If that is the best location, then we will try for it. Also still thinking about Simbambili for the leopards.
How can I find out the moon phases for that area in May and June?
Thanks again
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:21 AM

Hello,

Moon phases are pretty much the same the world over (though you see a different chunk of moon). Try this link for moon phases. Note that a full moon is not good for predator viewing.

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/

If you are particularly interested in leopards, Londoz made its reputation based on its leopard viewing, The guides know the personal and family histories of all of the resident cats, and they are very relaxed with vehicles making for great viewing, You can request Maxine Scott, a wonderful ranger who has a special interest and expertise in leopards, as your ranger at Londoz. I did a five-day safari with Maxine and the leopard viewing was amazing. Maxine is no slouch in terms of other wildlife either!

I've never been to Simbambili, but it does look like a good budget-conscious option for someone who is interested in leopards.

Are you travelling alone or in a group? If you are travelling alone Londoz is a very good deal, as CCA does not charge a single supplement.

Since you are looking at 2006, you can afford to wait a few months. If you are interested in Londoz, keep an eye on the Safari Specials posted on the CCA website. Right now they have a very good deal where you get 4 nights for the price of 3 if you stay at two of their lodges. There is a good chance this deal or something similar will be extended into next year (it was extended from 2004 into 2005).

I'm not sure where else you are going in SA, but the Phinda lodge in KwaZuluNatal is a great complement to Londoz -- a completely different environment with great game viewing. There is even a 'scuba safari' and the option to track black rhino on foot. This is my plan for my next trip to SA!

The great thing about the deal is that it's not a matter of getting the cheapest night free -- it's pay for three, then get one free night. So you could do three nights at Phinda Forest Lodge, which is a lovely lodge but less expensive, and take your free night at Londoz. If you really wanted to save money (and see a wonder of the world), you could combine Matetsi Water Lodge in Vic Falls ($500 per room per night) with Londoz.

Good luck finding a place that suits you.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Julian,
Thank you once again for your helpful information.
I will definately keep watch for the Londolozi specials. There will be 2 of us, so I guess the no charge for single supplement wouldn't matter, but that is a good deal for single travelers.
Thanks for the tip of requesting Maxine Scott. I will keep that in mind also.
Still in the inital planning stages, but might contact you later with more questions!
Thanks again