Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Packing Tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/packing-tips-542484/)

RLC Jul 7th, 2005 07:36 PM

Packing Tips

Hello - We leave in 5 days for our first safari - we are sooo excited! We are also quite thankful for all the wonderful advice on this site!
Our itinerary is on a previous tread - but I have a bit of a silly question -
We have a weight limit of 30 pounds and I just put out the clothing items I think I need and weighed them -15 pounds - is this too much weight for just clothes? I am a bit worried about being chilly during a July trip.
Thank you for your help!

tashak Jul 7th, 2005 09:52 PM

Well, as long as you are under 30 lbs, it doesn't really matter does it?

But I've found that camera stuff/binoculars, first aid/meds and must-have toilettries are actually heavier than clothing, so make sure you weigh everything. Generally I try to keep clothing--other than what I wear on the flight plus carried on fleece& windbreaker--to about 10 lbs max.

Not sure where you are going, or how your itinerary will affect laundry. (Number of days at each place and how quickly they do laundry will affect how many changes you need. ) But generally speaking, you'll need less than you think, because you can wear the same things over and over at different camps.

Also: where are you going?

Remember that you can always carryon your fleece and windbreaker on flights, and they won't weigh that. You can stuff the pockets of those with stuff too! Wear your heaviest shoes/boots too.

RLC Jul 8th, 2005 02:34 AM

Our itinerary (which just is not long enough!) is as follows:

1st night Ngong House - air kenya to
3 nights Elsa's Kopje - private charter
2 nights Il Ngwesi - private charter
3 nights Mara Bush Camp
1 day room at the House of Waine

We are using Cheli & Peacock

Laundry is Elsa's and Mara only.
I was thinking of placing on my camera,film, and binoculars on my carryon bag? Do you find it absolutly necessary to have a windbreaker if the fleece also can work in this function to a degree?
Thank you!

sandi Jul 8th, 2005 04:00 AM

Choose either the fleece or windbreaker. The temps up north where you'll be will be absolutely lovely (if not hot) during the day. Morning/Evenings on game drives can be chilly, but the vehicles provide blankets if you need. We were never actually cold, though July move more into their winter (as winter goes).

Just do not pack your camera equipment, meds, important docs in the duffle bag as checked luggage for your Intl flight - but in your carryon to be kept with you at all times.

You'll just have more room to purchase souvenirs. Happy travels and report here on your return.

linjudy Jul 8th, 2005 08:08 AM

One thing I would suggest is to pack 2 light jackets. I really wished I had done that. You get incredibly dusty/dirty on the game drives, and it's nice to not always be in the same dirty outerwear.

I brought a very lightweight gore tex jacket and it was great. Next time I will bring another one.

Patty Jul 8th, 2005 10:43 AM

Nothing to add except, have a great trip and I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back!