Packing necessities and leave at homes

Jan 9th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Packing necessities and leave at homes

Getting closer to our trip. We will be in London for a few days, Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar.
Any special items that are often overlooked that I should bring and anything that you've packed and it was a waste? I have to deal with the 22 lb limit but I want to be able to look like I am not on safari when in London.
Thanks!
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Will you happen to be overnighting (or at least passing through) the same city (perhaps Nairobi) coming and going? If you are, consider storing your London clothes at a hotel or with your tour operator at the beginning of your safari and retrieving it at the end before you fly home. We did that once and it was much easier than trying to worry about packing light enough for two extremely different climates.
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty. That is a very good idea.
Jan 10th, 2006, 06:24 AM
sandi

Is the 22-lbs as carryon on your International Flight?

Otherwise, your International flight from London to NBO allows for "checked" bags at 40lbs as coach passenger. If taking inter-country flights your limit is 35 to 40-lbs in duffle bag-type bags.

We found that 35-lbs was more than sufficient for travel to Africa and added space for "nice" "smart" clothing.

You can, as Patty mentions, store what you don't need on safari with your tour operator in NBO or Arusha (only if passing thru the same airport for your return trip.)

Jan 10th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the restriction in on flights within Africa as we have a couple "puddle jumper" flights. They are saying about 22lbs on those. I think I will look into leaving our London attire in Nairobi.
Thanks again

Search this Thread