Packing List--Rwanda, Kenya

Jul 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Packing List--Rwanda, Kenya

Hi All,

I've read through the great packing lists and have a much better idea of the "stuff" I need to bring. But I'm still kind of lost on clothing. We're going to be in Rwanda and Kenya for 2 weeks at the end of July/beginning of August. For some reason, I can't get my head around the temperature (maybe because it's disgustingly hot/humid in DC). Should I pack for spring? Summer? Do I need long underwear? Also, does anyone know what is appropriate wear in Rwanda? We'll be travelling around the country for 9 days. I would like to bring several ribbed tank tops (not spagetti strap) and then just layer, but would this be inappropriate? Also, what about skirts versus pants/shorts. And how many shirts/socks/shorts/pants etc. would you bring for 15 days? Lastly, what's the best footwear on safari? I have hiking boots for Rwanda, flip flops and sturdy sandals. Should I bring sneakers too? Thanks for all the help!
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM

What is your exact itinerary, in particular where are you staying?
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

In Rwanda, I have no idea. My boyfriend is taking care of those details and he has already left. I do know that we are going to Kigali, Nnungwe, Akagera, Lake Kivu (Kibuye probably) and PNV.

In Kenya, we are going to Nakuru and the Mara. We're staying 1 night at Malewa River Lodge and 1 night at Lion Hill. In the Mara we are staying 2 nights at Ilkeliani, 1 night fly camping through Basecamp and 1 night at Basecamp Main Camp.
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I'd bring the sturdy sandals and leave the sneakers at home. If necessary, you can use your hiking boots for any safari walk (if you're doing any) in Kenya. You can wear the sandals on vehicle game drives and around camp.

I find long underwear unnecessary in Kenya, but don't know about PNV in Rwanda, maybe it gets cold enough there.

You probably won't wear shorts much in August so I'd say more long pants. As far as how many of each article, I'll let others answer as I tend to bring far more than most of the packing lists I see here
Jul 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM

when staying in PNV heavy pajamas or logn underwear.

I am sure you have seen the posts for rain gear & gloves and hiking boots for gorilla trekking.

I don't think it any of those places are sooo conservative that you don't see tourists in shorts and tank tops.

Unless you you are doing a walkign safari your footwear doesn't matter that much. Good sandals are fine.
Jul 11th, 2006, 05:10 AM

for what it is worth= i'm currently staying in uganda and no woman even wears a knee length skirt let alone shorts whatever your nationality- leave your shorts at home and bring zip-offs for rwanda. it's not shorts weather this time of year anyway- it's probably 60 something and raining today. yes. rain and cold in africa. also shorts= bites.
Jul 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kerikeri. Has the weather changed recently? My boyfriend is in Kigali now and he said it's in the 80s! Now I am all confused about what to bring! Plus my clothes look so boring since I'm trying hard not to bring any shade of blue!