Packing for safari in South Africa (summer)

Nov 28th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Packing for safari in South Africa (summer)

Hi,
I have seen a lot of suggested packing lists which seem to focus on winter, but not much specific advice for summer. I'm going to Krueger & Sabi Sands for 6 nights in January. It was the only time I could get away, so I know it will be extremely hot. Any suggestions on items to bring? I was going to skip long sleeves because nights should still be warm I think. I am trying to figure out if tank tops would be a good or bad idea for game drives, especially those in wicking material. Thanks for any assistance!
Nov 28th, 2015, 07:39 PM

Hello,

Morning and evening drives can still be a bit chilly so I think you may want more than tank tops. And you should cover up in the evenings to prevent mosquito so I would keep some lightweight long sleeve tops and pants as well. Have fun.
Nov 29th, 2015, 12:09 AM

It's going to rain, so be prepared. It's much chillier than you think driving around in the dark with no doors or windows. Long sleeves, pants and socks for mossies - better to spray clothes than skin with high DEET concentration. Tank tops in that sun? Not sure I'd do that. Wear light colors, not white. Take something to swim in - nice during the heat of the day. Just dress in light layers and you can add and remove as needed. Closed shoes for walks, I take trail sneakers, and sandals.

You only need three days of clothing as lodges do laundry. Even in winter I only take a carry on - even with cameras and binoculars. Good binoculars.

Kruger self drive or a Kruger concession?

Have fun!
Nov 30th, 2015, 07:08 PM

We used these in September; they come in men and womens and are perfect for the variation in temperatures. Zip on and off easily so you can start in shorts and add the legs when it gets cool. 2 pairs each.

http://www.rei.com/product/861659/re...mens-30-inseam

And we each had one of these shirts [also come in men and womens]. Great for layering with T shirts.
http://www.rei.com/product/861363/re...e-shirt-womens

Search this Thread