Packing for SA in June 2009 - suggestions neede

Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
NDE
Original Poster

Packing for SA in June 2009 - suggestions neede

Hi everyone,

We're going to SA in June 2009 for 17 days - Sabi Sands, Kruger, and then Cape Town. What do we need to bring for clothes, snacks, meds, etc.

Should we bring a lap top to download our pictures? Any general camera tips (what to bring, etc.) would be most welcome.

Any other advice about SA travel would be most appreciated!

thanks
Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM

17 days is excellent! Enough time to have lots of wildlife encounters plus Cape Town - and the winelands I guess.

"go2africa" has been mentioned here several times. I myself have not used them so there are others providing information on TA I assume.

I guess you are into digital photography: for safari you can roughly count between 150 and 200 pix/day depending what you observe or how keen you are on photography. But 100 is minimum. So bring loads of memory or lap top to empty your cards.

June is "winter" means very chilly to COLD mornings, chilly evenings but warm middays on safari. For game drives you should wear "onion like" bringing sweater, fleece, gloves, scarf, hat. Walking boots, sandals, pants with zippers which allow to shorten.
Especially for morning game drives you should be prepared to face 5C or even less and you will be driven in open vehicles. It can get really cold.

Cape Town can get windy and rainy but you should be fine with your safari outfit or safari pants replced by jeans.

Snacks.........what you mean? SOMETHING TO EAT? If that's what you have in mind: Safari is perfect for putting weight on!
Breakfast, lunch/brunch, hight tea, dinner plus snacks.......gosh - we always skip either breakfst or lunch/brunch in order to fit in our pants towards the end of the trip.

Regarding meds: Kruger is malaria area but it's winter! So risk is pretty low but ask your travel clinic.

We ourself have all "regular" vaccination incl. Polio etc. and take only a broad band antibiotics, plaster several sizes, Immodium, Cold and Flu. SA has very good Pharmacies and meds are not expensive.
If you take some meds on regular basis bring a "spare" prescription" just in case.

If you have a "certification" which shows your blood references - bring it with you.

SV

Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
NDE
Original Poster

thanks for all the pointers!
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM

Laptop to download photos? If used just for that, I would not. You have to lug it around and risk it being stolen. Get more memory cards. As for camera, a zoom lens in range of 28mm-300mm (35mm equivalent) would do nicely. Two cameras are better, one for each of you and thus have backup. Video camera??? Don't pack any cameras, binoculars, or electronic stuff in checked luggage. Carry-on only.

regards - tom
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
NDE
Original Poster

thanks - I should have clarified - our 9 year old daughter is coming with us and we thought we'd use the lap top for movies as well blogging on our trip if we have internet access.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM

We're going to SA in June 2009 for 17 days - Sabi Sands, Kruger, and then Cape Town. What do we need to bring for clothes, snacks, meds, etc.

The mornings in Kruger and SS will be very cold, especially on game drives in open vehicles. I typically wear (on a morning game drive): long pants over shorts, T-shirt, long-sleeved fleece pullover with a fleece vest over top. I would also have a nylon windbreaker to put over the vest in case I needed it. I would also be wearing a toque and warm gloves.

By afternoon, it may well be warm enough for shorts and a T-shirt. It warms up very quickly. Dress in layers and you'll be good!

We lived in Cape Town for a year and the weather at that time of year can be just about anything. If you have the variety of clothes described above, you'll be fine. CT is casual - you don't need dressy clothes.

Should we bring a lap top to download our pictures? Any general camera tips (what to bring, etc.) would be most welcome.

We always have a laptop to download pictures, but be prepared for dust. Take a stong plastic bag or a waterproof pillowcase to keep it in. Same for the camera!

For meds/immunizations, since you are traveling with a young child, you should consult a travel clinic. We took malaria pills in Kruger even though we were there in winter (July) - the doctor (in a travel clinic) that we consulted recommended it, saying that "low risk" was not "no risk".

Any other advice about SA travel would be most appreciated!

Search this website (narrow your search to South Africa if you like) under any general topic ("packing list", for example) and you'll have all the information you need. Robin
Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM

NDE

I support Tom's advise -

We have got a 80GB multi player and we do RAW format pixs. It's very handy. Nevertheless we have lots of memory. And yes, we also have a back up cam plus a video. A back up is advisable because due to lots of dust on safari it's wise to have it in case the main cam fails.

Before we bought that miraculous devise we always used our lap top. Often we had "pixs parties" in our tent showing our guide and tracker what we had got - staff enjoyed it very much.

Generally speaking we always take:

- a big plastic bag to cover the equipment against water
- take a Kikoi/Pareo (no fibrous material!) to cover the equipment on game drives against the dust
- take a bean bag and

Recently we changed to Monopod: get the cam ready, rests between our legs, covered with a Kikoi and always ready to shot.

For landscape a Tripod is handy.

Except the Monopod/Tripod everything is in a Photo Backpack while on game drives as well as travel.

SV
Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
NDE
Original Poster

thanks - what is the bean bag for? and what is the kikio?
Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM

Should be a great trip.

The bean bag is to place your camera upon to prevent camera shake.

I agree with Canadian Robin's warm clothes suggestions.

Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM

NDE

A bean bag (http://kgear.com/r/) is very useful for resting your cam let's say on to a roof edge of a vehicle. It provides your cam with stability. It's an empty kind of canvas bag with a zip. On site you can either fill it with rice, sand etc. You should take a plastic zip bag to fill the graines in and then into the bag.

A Kikoi - sorry for not explaining first - is a typical Massai piece of fabric which is like a huge scarf. We always take it with us to cover the cam during game drives in dusty terrain. It can be folded to a pretty small kind of thing. Not heavy, nor big but efficient!
This gives you and idea...
http://www.kikoy.com/?gclid=CIOW8qfLwZgCFQtWtAodEhMt1g

But any fabric is fine which isn't "fibrous"; otherwise too risky for your sensitive digital cam. IF you have to change your lenses put the cam downwards so that the risk of capturing dust particles is lo(wer!).

Enjoy your anticipation!

SV
Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
NDE
Original Poster

thank you so much - excellent suggestions all!!
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM

hi NDE,

definitely walking boots- they keep your feet much warmer than normal shoes or trainers on those early morning land-rover trips. plus scarves, gloves and sun-glasses!

some kind americans gave us some hand-warming sachets too - don't know what they are called but I think a camping shop would have them. they would certainly cheer up your 9 year old when her hands get cold. amd if she's happy, you'll be happy.

a torch - it gets dark very early and not everywhere you want to go will be well-lit.

regards, ann
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
NDE
Original Poster

thanks - I know exactly what those hand warmers are -we use them all the time at swim competitions when my daughter is standing around waiting for her next event. They are fab!!!