Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Packing for Cairo (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/packing-for-cairo-852497/)

patiricia Aug 1st, 2010 04:58 AM

Packing for Cairo

I am starting my packing for Botswana with a stop in Cairo in early Sept. Thinking about suggested restrictions, are shorts ok for sightseeing or capris or do we need long pants? Any other suggestions?

Axel2DP Aug 1st, 2010 05:35 AM

Eventhough I did see women in shorts and tank tops in Cairo, I think it's best to go on the conservative side. Capris pants would be good.

sandi Aug 1st, 2010 06:10 AM

Capris or long pants* are best. Shirt with at least a short sleeve. A hat, comfy shoes, SPF on exposed skin and plenty of water (available cheaply). Enjoy.

*loose fitting, preferred.

Grcxx3 Aug 1st, 2010 06:13 AM

As Casual_Cairo likes to say - "no arms, no legs, no breasts!" (I hope I got that right!)

Pants - no shorts, but capris are fine. Pants, of course, are fine, but be careful with jeans because they can get hot!
Tops - keep the upper arms covered and nothing too revealing or low-cut.

I liked wearing loose, flowy skirts and tops because I felt they were more comfortable than pants.

patiricia Aug 1st, 2010 06:18 AM

Thanks, knew about the arms and breasts, just wondered about ankles! What about out to dinner? Same rules?
Pat

Grcxx3 Aug 1st, 2010 07:10 AM

Ankles aren't a problem in Egypt. And - yes - same basic rules for going out to dinner.

sf7307 Aug 1st, 2010 10:00 AM

<<<"no arms, no legs, no breasts!" (I hope I got that right!)>>>

Close but not quite -- "no shoulders, no knees, no breasts" is more like it -- so capris and short-sleeve shirts are perfectly fine. Skirts are fine but only if they're below-the-knee, even when sitting.

Grcxx3 Aug 1st, 2010 10:08 AM

Dang....I knew I was going to mess that up!!!!

kch246 Aug 1st, 2010 10:23 AM

How about shorts for men?

Iowa_Redhead Aug 1st, 2010 10:46 AM

The only men I remember seeing in shorts were tourists. Loose, lightweight pants are much cooler than shorts (for men or women) as it keeps the sun off of your skin.

patiricia Aug 1st, 2010 11:47 AM

Great advice, thank you all!

Grcxx3 Aug 1st, 2010 01:52 PM

Shorts for men (and even boys) is basically a no-no. The exception being on the Nile cruises or at the beach.

And I agree with Iowa_Redhead......loose, lightweight pants are the way to go.

Casual_Cairo Aug 2nd, 2010 12:40 AM

Remember you will be here during Ramadan as well, when you should be more conservative than usual, if possible. Certainly there will be LOADS of disrespectful tourists at the pyramids and the museum and elsewhere during this time, but please since you asked, try to be as respectful of the holiday as you can. As the ladies above mentioned, you can remain cool in a skirt and long sleeved cotton top if it is fabric that can breath - does NOT mean see-thru though. ;)

patiricia Aug 3rd, 2010 12:15 PM

Thanks, Debbie, I can't wait!! Shopping for some tops that aren't low cut as is my usual style!

johanna Aug 19th, 2010 03:16 PM

Patiricia. Would love to hear how the clothing turned out when you return.
I am going to Egypt in December and will be there over Christmas.

Thanks

Bo2642 Aug 19th, 2010 08:16 PM

Hi, Patricia, Casual Cairo, and all you others who've signed in....
I'm in the middle of getting things together for our trip to Jordan and Egypt, and I've taken your input to heart. The only other Muslim counties I've visited are Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and the Malaysian part of Borneo) but I understand about the need for modesty. For this trip I had pause, though, about cropped pants which are so much more comfortable for me than long pants. And I get from all of you out there that those are ok. Thank you all for your contributions.

sf7307 Aug 20th, 2010 04:53 AM

Capris (cropped pants) are fine -- just cover your knees!

colduphere Aug 21st, 2010 03:33 PM

Our two boys (15/11) wore long shorts (but still above the knee) last week in Cairo. I asked several people (guides/hotel staff) about it and they all said shorts were completely acceptable and not the least bit disrespectful.

I wore very lightweight long pants. I keep reading how they are actually better in hot weather than shorts. Not for me. I was dying to put shorts on.

Grcxx3 Aug 21st, 2010 03:53 PM

cold - I am not surprised the people you asked said that shorts were okay. As a general rule, Egyptian people like to "please" and they will rarely tell you that something is wrong, or inappropriate, or not possible.

I was just looking at photos of my sons from our Egypt years and noticed that the first time we went to the pyramids - they were in shorts. But every time after that, they are in long-zip off pants. Obviously, our "cultural training" came AFTER that first trip. They did wear shorts around our little suburb (where clothing "rules" were more relaxed), but not for trips into town.

I do know that every time the boys went on a field trip for school, the boys were told to wear long pants - no matter what time of year. Boys that arrived at school in shorts did not go on the field trips.

colduphere Aug 21st, 2010 04:06 PM

Grcxx3 - you are probably right but they actually seemed dismissive of the question about shorts. But four days doesn't make me an expert.

Now I have to find clothing threads about Greece and Spain. I have never seen so many shorts and flip flops in my life. Including on the locals.