Notices

Packing for a month in Southern Africa

Jul 17th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Packing for a month in Southern Africa

We are going on our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Africa, mid September to mid October. The first nine days will be in Cape Town and the South African wine region nearby, staying in nice properties. But then we have 14-15 nights in 5 different safari camps with all the stringent weight limits. Stuck in the middle of that is 2 nights in Jo-burg. I have a pretty good idea of what to pack for the safaris but I'm having trouble figuring out what I will need, especially in Cape Town. Last year's weather that time of year looked to have been mostly highs in the mid-60s and lows in the 40s (one night down to 33!) with some rain thrown in. I would be grateful for any advice.
Jul 17th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Safari lodges do laundry so that's easy. Layers, layers, layers.

I wear the same clothes in CT as on safari. Everything I take matches everything. I don't mind being a little dressed up on safari as long as it's neutral colors but hate to be underdressed in cities. I wear greys and greens instead of beige. Dress stuff up with a scarf, lightweight jewelry, shoes (only 2 pairs though!), etc. It's unusual to be that cold in September but it could be cold on safari so again - layers are the key. Buy a rain coat or umbrella when you get there if needed. I don't sweat it too much - if I need something specific that I forgot or left home, or just want, I buy it.

There's luggage storage at JNB so you can leave some things there between CT and safari. It really helps with the small safari bag reqs.

My once in a lifetime trip resulted in 5 more and many more in the future (next year will be #7 in a decade). Each one has been progressively cheaper so we can keep going back!

Have fun.
Jul 24th, 2017, 10:06 PM

Hi,

Whether in September is not usually too cold, but I agree with Christabir above, the same clothes you wear on your safari will be suitable for September in Cape Town.

I am sure you have heard this before, but Cape Town weather is slightly chaotic, there may be a little bit of rain, or the sun could be shining. Today we experienced rain and yesterday it was sunny. As long you are wearing layers, you should be fine.

It won't be excruciatingly hot either.

Have fun!

Search this Thread