Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight

Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight

Sep 16th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Overnight train Marrakech - Tangiers the same day of return flight

Hi, I'm currently trying to nail down the details of my 6-day trip to Morocco next week (yes, I've left things a bit too late!) I'm flying into Tangiers and traveling down to Marrakech. In order to maximize the number of days I can spend in Marrakech, I'm planning on scheduling an overnight train trip back from Marrakech to Tangiers the night before I am scheduled to fly back home out of Tangiers.

1) From what I have read so far, the trains seem like the most reliable form of public transportation, so can I plan this without jeopardizing my return flight?

2) I will be getting into Tanger Ville station at 7 am. My flight is out of the Tangiers airport at 12:25 pm that same day. Will I have enough time to make it to the airport and go through customs, etc.?

Thanks much in advance!
Sep 16th, 2014, 05:29 PM

Where is "home" and do you have a direct flight there from Tangier (no "s" at the end) ? or do you have a connecting flight somewhere?
Sep 16th, 2014, 11:19 PM

Hi Sonni,
In addition to Mme Perdu's questions.
1. Yes, the trains are relatively reliable...but there's always a chance of a delay or two. I've traveled the overnight service between Tangier and Marrakech many times and have always arrived aroundabout on time.
2. So presuming your train doesn't have any delays and you arrive at Tangier Ville at around 7am, then you could be at Tangier Ibn Battouta Airport by around 8am if you pre-book a transfer or charter a grand taxi (petit taxis don't travel to the airport). To take a 'normal' seat in a grand taxi will involve various time-consuming necessities, such as finding the rank for taxis heading in the airport's direction and having to wait for the taxi to fill up (six berths) before it departs. The customs (douane) and immigration procedure is usually pretty good at Tangier's airport.

You seem aware that you may cutting it all a bit fine, but I understand your desire to make the most of your short visit. Happy travels.
Sep 17th, 2014, 08:47 AM

My questions are aimed at a possible flight from Marrakech, which you may or may not have investigated. While my experiences with the trains have been similar to Darren's, I, for one, am not fond of NEEDING any mode of transport to be on time. Either a flight from Marrakech or a train the previous night with a day and overnight in Tangier would be my choice.

While people seem to love to hate Tangier, I find it a very congenial city and would welcome a chance to spend a little time there. I think it's another case of faulty assumptions and too lazy to discover the place for themselves. It could be a good solution for your dilemma.

Search this Thread