Has anyone stayed at Phinda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any comments about this lodge? Which lodge is better (were deciding between Rock and Forest)?
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:09 PM

Lisa,

I stayed at Phinda Forest in May and enjoyed everything about the experience. The Eastern influence in the lodging and the setting in a Sand Forest was perfect...there were nyala and duiker grazing at my steps most day. Hard to describe, really...almost like being in an enchanted forest. Rock Lodge is more upscale, as there are only 6 chalets, as opposed to 16 at Forest. They are at opposite ends of the reserve, as well. After staying at Singita during the same trip, I felt that Phinda Forest gave great value for money. If you are there for 4 or 5 nights, you could always try both! : )
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

We are already staying at Singita for 3 nights following Phinda. Which lodge did you stay at in Singita? We have a choice between Ebony and Boulders.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Hi Girlpolo-when will you go back again?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 12:48 PM
sandi

Lisa -

You can't go wrong with either Ebony or Boulders.

We chose Ebony which we felt had a "homey" feel with overstuffed furniture, very colonial. It kind of wrapped itself around us with warmth. Whereas Boulders is more contemporary or modern and I'm not personally excited by modern.

The services at both are excellent as are the rangers and entire staff, and, of course, the meals.

Regardless which you choose, with 3-days, I would suggest you take at least 1-day (even 1/2-day - don't go out ([even have your meals in] till afternoon/eve game drive) to enjoy your "house" - the pool, the outdoor shower, having a massage on your private deck - just relax.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Lisa: I agree with Sandi's assessment of Singita. You will think you're in heaven at either Ebony or Boulders. Ebony has just completed a health spa and fitness center that is amazing. The food is basically over-the-top. I've never stayed at Boulders, but have only heard rave reviews. Be sure to request dinner in your room one night. I won't spoil the surprises...but it's very, very special.

PattiSue: I'm hoping to travel to Botswana in late-May or early-June 2004.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:58 AM
smileworld

Don't be surprised if you discover Singita's a bit of a downer after Phinda Forest Lodge. Always amazed people feel compelled to spend top dollar (excuse, Rand) at Kruger, when lower priced lodges are just as good.
And the agem viewing at Phinda is the best in SA.

Now Botswana, that's what you need to save your money for. What's the expression - taking it over the top.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:48 PM
LizFrazier

smileworld-
Are you referring to the animal population in Botswana or to a particular camp? I sooo love Botswana that I never need to go to South Africa. Its all there plus the Delta. Just to be there I am not too particular about which camp. Just be there!
Thought you might have specific places in mind. Liz

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:54 AM
smileworld

Well, Liz, I'm reluctant to tell too many people about M****, now that you ask. And there are many more, and if I'm fibbing, my name is Bert. And it isn't. You can verify that because his packing list never includes b**** t**. And personally, after a hard day in the Rover, b**** t**, and only b**** t**, is fitting for drinks and dinner, and the wild sounds of the night. As you will be enjoying in the not too distant future. I discovered a small clause that excludes b**** t** from the 12.2!!!! But don't tell the pilot. And watch for the s**k*.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:35 AM
LizFrazier

smileworld-
You're over my head. I was referring to your comment "Botswana is over the top". Just wondered if you were referring to the Delta in general, wildlife in general, or some particular camps. If you don't want to share them by name, no problem.
It was just if you were talking about specific places, you could say that you had been to some top secret spots of your own that you don't want to share, or whatever. What is 12.2? I'm just drawing a blank on even dirty words I know that would fit in there. :-> Liz

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:39 AM
LizFrazier

Oh I think I just got who you are and what you said. Why didn't you tell me. What's 12.2?

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:41 AM
smileworld

Ok, Liz - if you insist! Mombo. Black Tie. Bert in Houston. 12.2 kg per person. Snake. It was all clean, boringly clean.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of Rock lodge in Phinda? I know it's more expensive but is it really worth the money. Will we see better game at Forest due to location? How far are the two lodges apart?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:22 PM

Hi Girlpolo-where will you be staying in Botswana-which lodges? Thanks
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:41 PM

pattisue: Regarding Botswana, I haven't begun to plan my May '04 trip yet. I'm considering a few days of 'horseback safari' with African Horseback Safari. I've enjoyed my stays at CC Africa concessions on previous trips to South Africa, so I may look to stay with them in Botswana. Seems that Mombo and Jao are a bit pricey. Have you planned a trip and settled on specific places?

Lisa: Keep in mind that Phinda is a fenced game reserve of about 30,000 acres. Therefore, all four lodges will have similar gameviewing experiences. Rock and Forest are about a half hour Rover ride apart. In contrast, reserves in the Sabi Sand (Singita, Londolozi, Mala Mala, etc...) are adjacent to the Kruger National Park, which is the size of Massachusetts! There are no fences between Kruger and these reserves, so the animals are free to roam. However, each game reserve has limited traversing rights. I have always felt the larger the traversing rights, the better chance for a quality experience. Also, many wild game (like the big cats) are territorial, so they do not move a whole lot. Londolozi has something like 28 leopard that call their traversing area home. At Phinda we saw just one sad-looking leopard. However, Phinda has a pride of 14 lions and a HUGE breeding herd of elephants! : ) By visiting both areas, you will have a varied and wonderful experience.