Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Overland Company Reviews? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/overland-company-reviews-477210/)

ecorachel Sep 28th, 2004 09:31 AM

Overland Company Reviews?

Hello,
I am trying to plan a trip to Africa in August 2005. I am overwhelmed with information! There is so much out there, but all of the tour companies seem to run the same trips. There doesn't seem to be any difference between them. I'd like to go for about a month. So my questions are:
If you travelled with an overland company, what was the company and how would you rate them?
How long did you go to Africa for?
Which countries are safest and have the best weather in August (would prefer to avoid the rain if possible)?
Thank you so much for your response!

sandi Sep 28th, 2004 01:46 PM

If you haven't done so, I would suggest you also post on thorntree and lonelyplanet websites.

sandi Sep 30th, 2004 02:01 PM

jasper - If you had read the rules and regulations for participating in the Fordors site, you would know that you are not supposed to be advertising your services. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to discuss this means of travel on the board. I think such information would be of interest to others here.

Chris_GA_Atl Oct 1st, 2004 05:41 AM

I traveled overland with Karibu Safaris (www.karibu.co.za) in September 2003 in Botswana, starting in Maun and going all the way to Victoria Falls. They were excellent and I highly recommend them. We did a luxury (fully-serviced) camping trip, spending 2 nights in each of 4 places (Moremi, Khwai, Savuti and Chobe). Everything about the trip was perfect.
In terms of rain, I suggest you look at www.worldclimate.com for information -- they usually have temperature and rainfall for lots of places in the world. I believe Botswana is in the dry season in August. We had no rain in September.

alice13 Oct 2nd, 2004 07:47 AM

Well I think I replied already - response deleted. Hmm.

The companies run the same trips because I guess their market reseach leads them to believe that is what people want. If you don't then u can always do your own thing. It isn't difficult to travel in East/South Africa on buses, etc.

To answer your question. I have travelled with Guerba (top company - super good) morocco to nairobi. Phoenix expeditions cairo - nairobi and vic falls - cape town. Time taken 20 weeks, 5, and 5 again (I think).

Phoenix are also very good, and Exodus too. Safest countries is a question I leave to you to answer for yourself - but don't believe everything you read on the official govt websites. I'd avoid Chad, Sudan, Zaire and Burundi - but I guess you weren't thinking of going to any of them! Weather - not likely to be raining in Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zam or Zim. But there's loads of into on the net you can access about that.

I've never travelled with them, but if you don't find anything you like with Guerba/Exodus - they do 21 dayers I think - try Explore Worldwide - their brochure is an armchair traveller's heaven.

Cheers

welltraveledbrit Oct 2nd, 2004 11:35 AM

EcoRachel,
Like Alice I've traveled with Guerba and I would recommend them. We took a 2 week trip Dakar (Senegal) to Timbuktu (Mali).

They're running a range of different types of trips and ours was overland but not in one of their large trucks. We did some camping but also stayed in modest hotels. In addition to the driving we had several days of trekking and traveled by pirogue (boat) up the Niger.

The variety of transportation was fun and both the guide and the Guerba guy were good.

I think these shorter slighly more expensive hotel based trips attract a slighly older age group (most were in their 30's)...everyone was very pleasant. I'd definately recommend them and would consider them particularly for areas in which it may be more difficult to travel on your own.