Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

CAPETOWN - MALA MALA AND MAURITIUS_help ! URGENT !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything regarding:

MALA MALA camp ?
Beau Rivage Hotel and Les Pavillions Hotel in Mauritius ?
The Commodore Hotel in Capetown?

I am brazilian, my wife and I will spend 2 weeks in Capetown, Mauritius and on a safari starting next february 23rd. I am on my last minute arrangements for my honeymoon and have to decide on this hotels and places SOON !!!

I appreciate any advice on that!! Thanks ...Arthur
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
sandi

Can't help with the Mauritius.

However, I recently heard that Mala Mala was under reconstruction due to lots of water damage. Would suggest you contact your tour operator/travel agent or the camp directly to determine that they'll be taking guests next month.

We didn't stay at the Commodore, but friends did while we were in CPT and we visited them at the hotel. We were very pleased with the lobby and restaurant. The rooms were smaller than where we were staying, but they had a Queen size bed, a small sitting area, a full bathroom with tub/shower and a balcony that looked out onto Table Mountain and the V&A Waterfront. The Commodore sits on the highest point in this area of CPT and the view was great - and only 1-block from the V&A Waterfront.

Our friends indicated that their room was clean, maid service was very attentive, as were all the staff. And since you're out every day sightseeing, you only need your hotel for sleeping.

Nearby are the Hotel Grace and Table Bay, where you might go for Tea or have Dinner.

Do check the situation at Mala Mala. Enjoy your holiday.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:15 PM

Regarding MALAMALA

I have recently been to MalaMala and you will have made an excellent choice.

As main camp is the only operational camp at present[they are upgrading Harry's] I suggest you request suite number 17 or The Lions Den.My recommendation for your game rangers are CHRIS,LEON or NILS.These rangers have been at Main Camp for several years and will greatly enhance your safari experience.Chris operates the digital camera for the cyberdiary and is the Head Ranger.Nils has been living on MalaMala for more than 14 years and has recently published a book called Living with Leopards[contains pictures of leopards at MalaMala over a 14 year period].Well Leon you will just have to meet to see why I HIGHLY recommend him.

The game viewing will take your breath away! In the space of just one week we saw eight different leopards,five different prides of lion-some prides consisting of 18 members.WE saw four buffalo kills,came across leopard kills in treetops and one hyena kill on an impala.You wll see breeding herds of elephant,and big buffalo herds.If you are lucky you might see TJOLOLO a famous leopard of which National Geographic has just finished a movie called STALKING LEOPARDS.

To finish off MALAMALA will exceed your highest expectations.I have been to Singita,Londolozi,SabiSabi,Ulusaba,ChitwaChitwa,Sa vanna Tented Lodge and Exeter to name a few but MalaMala has always provided me with the most consistent Big Five sightings!

If there is anything more you would like to know feel free to post.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

Arthurlaporta,

I also cant comment on Mauritius or Mala Mala and simply want to confirm that I agree completely with Sandi's description of the Commodore. I would recommend this venue and have had many a visitor stay at this hotel with great success.

One trick about the Commodore is to phone a day in advance and ask to speak to the accommodations manager. Then ask if he can allocate you a harbour facing room. The rooms are allocated on a first come first arrive basis at this hotel UNLESS you follow my advice. One also cannot pre book a specific room unfortunately other than one day in advance.

Commodore telephone number: 021 415 1000

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:14 PM

We spent 3 days on the Mala Mala reserve in Sept..We stayed at Kirkmans Kamp however,which was part of Mala Mala at the time.I have to agree with the above post about the Game drives. We saw all the" big five" several times plus many other wildlife.It was far better then I had dared to dream it would be.I must say it was my first trip to Africa and so I don't have anything to compare it to. We didn't stay at Main Camp but did spend a couple of hours there and it looked very nice.

We also spent a few days in Cape Town. We stayed very close to the Commodore.We were at the Victoria and Alfred Hotel, which we liked very much.Did pass by the Commodore and it is located pretty well, I am sure it would be fine.

Congratulations,to you. You will have a wonderful honeymoon.South Africa is wonderful.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:14 PM

One more thing!

Before you go to MalaMala familiarize yourself with the different lion prides,leopards etc. by clicking on thei website-MALAMALA.COM.They have a weekly cyberdiary where you can follow the specific prides that you have seen for the rest of the year.It also makes for a more complete safari experience if you know the animals.To give you an example,a legendary coalition of two male lions [The West Street Males]are on the verge of being dethroned by two younger males[the Split Rock Males]bringing an end to their 5 year reign.By reading all about the West Street Males you might even shed a tear when you get to see them for real!

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your time and your great tips !!
Keep on writing !

Thank you once again ...Arthur
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM

In 2001 I stayed at the Commodore for 5 nights, and at Kirkman's Camp at Mala Mala...
Commodore is a fine choice-- I do consider it more a luxury class business hotel than a honeymoon hotel however. There are hotels closer to the waterfront, but the Commodore was more reasonably priced. It is actually a short walk to Waterfront proper (versus say the Victoria and Albert, which right in the Waterfront.)
My room was very spacious, and well-appointed in a businesslike way. Not really "romantic" or atmospheric rooms, however. Service was excellent, and the other posters suggestions about getting a harborview room sound great. I'd definitely recommend it.

Kirkman's Camp at Mala Mala is a more romantic choice...accomodations are in in lovely old colonial cottages...single story, each with a super old-fashioned bathroom with the most amazing, long clawfoot tubs for soaking. And each with a view out the window and over a plane sloping down to the river. Quaint, airy, old-fashioned furnishings, which I liked versus the hunting/safari/club style Mala Mala's Main Camp used to have.

Sounds like things may be changing a bit at Mala Mala however, so hopefully this will give your some questions for your travel agent.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM

CHANGES AT MALAMALA

Harrys Camp is being upgraded at present and local word has it that on completion it is going to be small and very luxurious.There is talk about a spa and private plunge pools.

MALAMALA sold Kirkmans to Exeter Holdings in July of 2003 for an estimated 20 million US dollars so if you want to go Kirkmans book your trip through Exeter Lodges.Exeter hasn't changed anything from the original Kirkmans so the rooms etc. look exactly the same

I cannot in good faith say that MalaMala is the most romantic Game Lodge I have ever been to though.

MOST ROMANTIC ROOMS IN THE SABI SANDS

1]Ulusaba Safari Lodge-ask for RIVER 4
Fantastic room!.This room is very private and+- one kilometer from the main lodge area.You access this room via swing bridges and more often than not animals will pass under you on your way to your suite!Also built on stilts in dry riverbed

2]Ulusaba Rock LODGE - Ask for the master suite
This room has undoubtedly the best view in the whole of the Sabi Sands

3]SabiSabi Selati Lodge-ask for the Ivory Presidential Suite

4]SabiSabi EARTH LODGE any room.

5]EXETER'S NEW LEADWOOD LOGDE- any room
This stunning new lodge has only four rooms,massive plunge pools,you can dine in the privacy of your suite and is brand new.

6]LONDOLOZI SAFARI LODGE-ask for room nr 1
Small and intimate.You feel isolated deep in the bush.This lodge also has a very nice pool that you can only reach by walking through a dry riverbed.

7]LONDOLOZI TREE CAMP- ask for a room with a sala
Well known on this webpage see previous postings

8]NOTTENS BUSH CAMP- ask for a luxury suite as they have both indoor and outdoor showers

9]CHITWA CHITWA MAIN LODGE-ask for the boulders suite

10] DULINI BUSH CAMP- any room
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Finally my wife and I decided on our itinerary. By the end of next February we will be marrying in Xcaret at the Mayan Riviera, then we will fly from Cancun to Mexico City,then to São Paulo,then to Johannesburg and finally we expect to get to Mauritius Island (Beau Rivage Hotel)for 4 nights ...(we must be out of our minds ! wow ! 5 long flights!!!).
Our trip continues in Capetown (3 nights at the Holiday Inn Waterfront - here we decided to spend less money considering that we will be there only to sleep) and end up our honeymoon at the Mala Mala Main camp for 3 more nights.
On our return we will spend one night in Johannesburg (Caesar Emperor) ...please send us tips and to do's in each one of these places .
We are extremely excited with this trip !
Thanks ...Arthur
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM

What a trip! Very, very exciting. My only "tips" are on really mundane things,as I am sure you will be well taken care of at all these places.
(1) There are many great day trips that you can do from Capetown. Tour operators with minibuses make these reasonable, and I had good guides and groups for all of them. Full-day tour of the Wine Region (lovely region with fabulous historic towns, and the wine tastings were fun. Also we stopped at Cheetah Outreach, which is located next to one of the wineries. They do educational visits with captive cheetahs. A good organization, and a thrill to spend time with, and photograph this amazing animal.) My full-day tour to Cape Point was great, with stops at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, a short boat ride to see the fur seals off the coast at Hout bay (we also saw a whale in the Bay!), a stop at SimonsTown(beautiful!) to see penguins, through the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve and of course, Cape Point, which is very spectacular. They covered so much in one day. Highly, highly recommended. Of course, a visit to Robben Island is recommended.
You'll be busy in Capetown!
(2) If you are in the market for souvenirs, one of the best places on your itinerary is in Capetown, at Greenmarket Square. It's just a short cab ride from the waterfront, and its a big scene, so perfectly safe (of course watch your wallet and camera, as in any big city) Vendors from all over Africa have interesting stuff, and you can bargain a bit.
3)I've been to the Emperor in Johannesburg several times on stopovers, and while there is nothing to do around the hotel, they have a superb spa. Massages are excellent, and very reasonable compared to prices in the US. After your whirlwind trip, you may just want to unwind a bit before the long trip home, so save a little room on the credit card for a nice massage. Book in advance-- they get busy. If you go to the hotel's website, there is info about the spa (think it is called Octavia's) pricing and email info for booking in advance.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Tashak ...thank you so much ...I already printed out all your tips and definetely we will have that in mind.

Regards,
Arthur.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Arthur, since we've gotten down to specific activities, it's fun to take the cable car to the top of Table Mountain.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:11 PM

Judy...great idea, I forgot Table Mountain. Beautiful. If it is a clear day, sunset would be a great time to be at Table Mountain. There is a cafe at the top, but for honeymooners, perhaps you should buy a bottle of wonderful SA wine...or champagne before you go, and have a toast at the top at sunset. Warning: on a nice day (especially on weekends) the lines can get long for the cablecar. So if you want to be at the top at a certain time (eg sunset) allow an extra hour to spend in line.