Our Safari Part 1

Aug 1st, 2002, 01:57 AM
Sam

Our Safari Part 1

Welcome to our first official journal entry. We hope everyone is doing great back home and we're thinking of you all. Africa has been amazing so far, and we're really enjoying the trip. E-mail and Internet access is very spotty, though, so it looks like we'll get to update once every ten days or so... And even so, I'm going to keep things shorter than I might have otherwise due to the shaky dial-up conections here... It simply takes forever to upload, and there's usually a line of people waiting for the PC! I'll do my best though! So here goes...

Cathy and I arrived in Capetown, South Africa last Monday, July 15th. Capetown is a spectacular city - one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It pretty much has it all - mountains, beaches, winelands surrounding a small harbor city. Think San Francisco as it may have seemed 50-75 years ago. It has a very cosmopolitan feel to it - almost mediterranean - and the people are well-cultured and interesting. And the food and wine are outstanding!

We took advantage of the scenery and enjoyed 2 awesome excursions. The first was to Cape Point National Park, which surrounds and includes The Cape of Good Hope, long considered the southern-most tip of Africa (it's actually not) and a major shipping point along the ancient Spice Route from Europe to the Orient. Cape Point is gorgeous, marked by crashing waves, spectacular cliffs, brushy flora, soaring gulls, diving cormorants, grazing ostriches & eland (an antelope of sorts - think reindeer), scruffy rock hyraxes (also known as dassies - they look like big hamsters, or more appropriately, the gopher in 'Caddyshack'... also, they urinate on their own hind legs to give themselves more traction on the rocks), and mischievous baboons (who knock peoples food out of their hands and steal it!). There are also colonies of penguins around the Cape. It's amazing. Is there any other place in the world one can see baboons, ostriches, and penguins together in the wild?

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:21 AM
LIsa

Looking forward to the rest of your reports, Sam. Hope the weather was not too bad in Cape Town. I'm enjoying your descriptions and lots of details. I did NOT know that about the Dassies. An interesting fact that the kids will no doubt enjoy.

Aug 1st, 2002, 04:32 AM
kavey

Ooooh Sam, how wonderful - live reports! Thank you and looking forward to the next installment.

Hope the rest of the trip is wonderful too.

Kavey

Aug 1st, 2002, 07:15 AM
lisa

Encore, encore! I'm dying to hear more! We are planning a safari trip for next year and are trying to decide between South Africa or Kenya/Tanzania, so I anxiously await your next installment. You've really piqued my interest in Cape Town. Any info on hotels, restaurants, & prices would be helpful too. Thanks.

Search this Thread