Search

October Safari

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:35 PM
noeleen

October Safari

I will be going to Kenya for a weeks safari and a week on the beach in october. We will visit Samburu,Mount Kenya, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara. From what I have read here on the forum it is cold early mornings and late evenings. Is that throughout the year or only at specific times. Also as we will be spending a week at the beach I will be bringing clothes that will be specifically for that week. I read that you can store excess luggage. Has anybody on the forum done this. I am trying to curtail what I bring and at the same time make sure I have all the essentials. Do you get very dirty on safari. I do not want to take up space packing an extra jacket but I do want to have something clean in the evenings if it is chilly. Is october a good month to go. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old May 4th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Nancy

Two years ago I went in October (last 2 weeks) and it was warm to hot all the time. I don't recall ever wearing a jacket. Other than a 2 mile walk in Amboseli that I took (and then it's only your shoes that get dusty), I was always be in a vehicle on safari so you won't get dirty. I do recall some people storing there luggage at the Norfolk Hotel where we stayed. They had been to other countries prior to Kenya. Of course, we were coming back for our last night there. Hope this helps.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:49 AM
noeleen

Thanks for the reply Nancy. Did you wear boots or sandals as there are some conflicting reports on footwear.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Nancy

Sorry for the late reply; just got back to this. I wore tennis shoes all the time but my cousin wore sandals most of the time.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Cecilia

October should be a good month to go.<BR>We went in late September and we had amazing game viewing. The migration will probably have moved back into Tanzania by then but there will still be plenty of wildlife around.<BR>You only need very casual clothes on a safari,and maybe a change of trousers or a skirt for the evenings. It will be chilly in the mornings and we used to wear a sweater and sometimes even long trousers rather than shorts,but by late morning you'll be ready for shorts and t-shirts again. A safari is a very dusty experience so you will feel very dirty after a game drive,but the lodges often offer an overnight laundry service if you run our of clothes.