Orient Express Safaris

Sep 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Orient Express Safaris

Does anyone have any recent experience with Orient Express Safaris? I know that they used to be Gametrackers, but a search on here turns up very little that is recent. From the website the camps don't look nearly as nice as Mombo, Chiefs and others, or is it just bad pics?

Any comments appriciated.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:38 PM

Yes, I do have some very recent experience with Orient-Express, and it was extremely positive. My wife and I recently returned from a 23-night S.A./Botswana/Zimbabwe trip, from 8/22 thru 9/16/2004. A 10-night Orient-Express package was the centerpiece of our itinerary. This package often is featured on www.luxurylink.com, and Roccco and I have written about it a few times on other threads. Within that 10-night package, 4 nights were spent at 2 of the 3 Orient-Exprss safari camps. We chose (1) Kwai River Lodge, located adjacent to the Moremi Game Reserve in the Okavango Delta, and (2) Savute Elephant Camp, located within Chobe National Park. Our principal reason for this (or any other) safari was to view the animals. We were not disappointed in either quantity or variety, and we had our share of magical sightings. As to the other factors, the food was good and too plentiful, the accomodations were very nice, and the staff was excellent. I cannot compare the physical qualities of the Orient-Express camps to Mombo, simply because I haven't been to Mombo. However, IMO, Kwai River Lodge and Savute Elephant Camp were equal in physical qualities to my 2 other safari experiences: Inyati in the SSGR, and Kitchwa Tembo in the Masai Mara in Kenya.

Search this Thread