Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Orbit Tours to Egypt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/orbit-tours-to-egypt-263258/)

Jeri Oct 4th, 2002 10:28 AM

Orbit Tours to Egypt?

Has anyone used this Egyptian travel agency? Someone by the name of "Jimmy" is very prompt in answering all my questions--which can be a good sign (or else he has a lot of time on his hands!) Will be spending 18 days there and would like any other tips--I've already read ALL the Egypt postings on Fodors (back to 1998). Thanks to all who posted there and any who might help now!

jleedy Nov 21st, 2002 11:22 PM

Did you end up going with Orbit? I'm leaving tomorrow and was considering using they're services.

Jeri Nov 24th, 2002 04:42 AM

We haven't left yet, so I can't give you any feedback yet. We're anxious to hear how things went with you, though. PLEASE let us know when you get back how ORBIT was.

jleedy Dec 3rd, 2002 12:26 PM

GOOD - I DO NOT RECOMMEND ORBIT TOURS.<BR><BR>Here's what happened. I had made all the arrangements with &quot;Jimmy&quot; via email. When I asked how we should pay him, he said bring cash to the airport. I insisted we be allowed to pay by credit card (right, like I'm going to hand a huge amount of cash to a total stranger at the airport in Cairo with no services rendered and no tickets in hand.) He said that would be acceptable. Then when we arrived, he told us to take our credit card over to the ATM and get cash to pay him. Oh, and now that we would be paying in Egyptian Pounds instead of dollars - it was going to cost us an additional $90 each. He claimed to have explained this to me in an email -so I immediately pulled out printed copies of our entire correspondence to prove that wasn't the case. He refused to compromise, and wouldn't even give me the printed copy of our itinerary which he had in hand (listing the price in dollars and pounds, thus providing evidence of his fraudulent exchange rate.) So we took our bags and left, wasting the entire next day in Cairo setting up alternative arragements. If we had just paid him the extra money, things might have worked out fine, but I wasn't willing to risk it with such a clearly dishonest broker. I've already sent complaints to the Ministry of Tourism and the Association of Egyptian Travel Businesses on the Internet. Let me know if you have any more questions.

SG Dec 3rd, 2002 04:06 PM

I've made reservations with them for Jan and like Jeri said, Jimmy had been very prompt in answering. It is disturbing to hear what happened to Jleedy. I emailed all the people on their reference list and received over 10 responses, all positive. Some of them used Joker Travel which is affiliated with Orbitz (I think - same email address). <BR><BR>Jleedy, how did you make alternate arrangements? There are many companies and it's hard to find a reputable one. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

SG Dec 3rd, 2002 04:39 PM

VERY WEIRD. After going over the references I received, I saw the same email that was sent to me posted on Orbit's client comments. Below is what is posted in Orbit's website and it's addressed to me (Sharleen). Maybe this reference decided to email Orbit what he said or maybe Orbit is making up references. I don't know what to think anymore. What do you guys think? <BR><BR>Dear Sharleen; <BR>You have selected a fine time to go to Egypt. We went in April and it was hot in Luxor. We have traveled often-usually on a group tour. Our Orbit Tour was the first &quot;private tour&quot;. It was great! Only one three star hotel, that was in Cairo. Clean, nice bath in the room. Room was small for two, but comfortable. We spend only a minimum amount of time in the hotel. We usually are on the go from 8A.M. until 11 P.M. We did not go diving. Instead we went to the desert. This was the most interesting part of the tour for my wife. A night under the stars in the White Desert was a most memorable experience. The tour was well planned, the guides knowledgeable, security awesome, food on the boat was ordinary. I recommend Orbit as as a reliable, well organized tour company offering outstanding value. Jim StClair, Attorney, Huntington, West Virginia--on assignment to the American Bar Assoc. in Sarajevo, Bosnia.

SG Dec 3rd, 2002 05:25 PM

VERY WEIRD. After going over the references I received, I saw the same email that was sent to me posted on Orbit's client comments. Below is what is posted in Orbit's website and it's addressed to me (Sharleen). Maybe this reference decided to email Orbit what he said or maybe Orbit is making up references. I don't know what to think anymore. What do you guys think? <BR><BR>Dear Sharleen; <BR>You have selected a fine time to go to Egypt. We went in April and it was hot in Luxor. We have traveled often-usually on a group tour. Our Orbit Tour was the first &quot;private tour&quot;. It was great! Only one three star hotel, that was in Cairo. Clean, nice bath in the room. Room was small for two, but comfortable. We spend only a minimum amount of time in the hotel. We usually are on the go from 8A.M. until 11 P.M. We did not go diving. Instead we went to the desert. This was the most interesting part of the tour for my wife. A night under the stars in the White Desert was a most memorable experience. The tour was well planned, the guides knowledgeable, security awesome, food on the boat was ordinary. I recommend Orbit as as a reliable, well organized tour company offering outstanding value. Jim StClair, Attorney, Huntington, West Virginia--on assignment to the American Bar Assoc. in Sarajevo, Bosnia.

SG Dec 4th, 2002 08:01 AM

I forwarded what Jleedy wrote to Jimmy &amp; here's his response.<BR><BR>Dear Sharleen,<BR><BR>Thank you for send us this message.<BR>I can’t see any disturbing about what this people say they didn’t even try our service, I warned them about credit card payment many times &amp; they insist to use it &amp; when they come we take them to the bank &amp; their card not valid &amp; can’t authorized for even $1 so how we accept it &amp; when they find themselves in this bad situation they left us at airport &amp; runaway. <BR>We stop accept credit card payment a few months ago as some not honest clients pay us by cards &amp; after have all service in Egypt &amp; go back home they contact Visa company about what they pay us &amp; said they don’t know about this payment &amp; ask the Visa company to refund this payment as they never been in Egypt!!! <BR>Now everything about our payment policy is shown in our web site so they clients can read it &amp; know about it before arrival at this link Reservation Form. <BR>Also you check with our clients whom they already tried our real service at this link Guests reference Also here in below the email we received from last clients left Egypt 2 days ago.<BR>Please can you send me this link of what written about us in below, thank you again for your note. <BR>Also please remember payment in Cash.<BR><BR>Best Regards,<BR>Jimmy<BR><BR>

Jeri Dec 30th, 2002 12:15 AM

Well, arrived back home last night from a wonderful trip to Egypt. We did go ahead and use Orbit Tours (orbitegy.com). Of course we were nervous about handing all that cash over on the day of arrival, but after much research, came to the conclusion that many of the small Egyptian Agencys operate that way. I want to emphasize that everything went smoothly! Most of the time it was just us + 1 driver + 1 guide. They said sometimes there could be as many as 6 others, but, NO LARGE groups of people to deal with! While there, we talked to many others who used them and all were happy. Will post a trip report soon when I'm not so &quot;brain dead&quot;!

SG Jan 6th, 2003 03:50 PM

We are leaving in a week and would love to hear about your experience. Did you pay in cash or by traveler's checks? Orbit is tell me that is I paid by check or credit card, the bank's exchange rate is 15% less. What's the best way to carry money? I hestitate carrying so much cash because I travel to East Africa for 2 weeks first.<BR><BR>Thanks.