optional lenses

May 12th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

optional lenses

i bought the canon powershot s1 camera for upcoming trip to botswana. comes with 10 X optical zoom. some options at ebay are the 2x hi res telephoto and .45 hi res wide angle lenses. are these neccessary or worth it? thanks for your help
May 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM

With a 10x optical zoom, you will get some great shots. We have an Olympus with a 10x and it's amazing how close you can get to things. We decided against getting the additional telephoto. Although one reason we decided against that is that our camera ahs a "super zoom" that extends the optical zoom on one of the programmable settings (it drops the resolution a bit, but not enough to make a difference). The one thing I have found with the hight powered zoom is that it is more difficult to handhold and I would worry that and extension would make it that much more difficult. Don't know if the canon has the option of getting a polarizing filter. If it does, in my experience that would be more beneficial. I got some GREAT shots in Brazil on hot sunny days with the polarizer and was able to use it with the telephoto. If I had both, I would have to choose. Hope this helps a little.
May 13th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I speak from a video camera background, but have found 20x to be very useful. That is standard on my old analog camcorder, this year I bouht a two times which gave me great close ups, but did require a steady hand. So I would definitely consider the 2x

Search this Thread