GPS for Dummies

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS for Dummies

On our next safari, I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the world of GPS. I started looking at different models last week and am getting ever more confused. There seems to be quite a range of mapping capability and memory capacity.

Do I need a unit that can download maps and how much memory is sufficient? Can you download maps of East Africa? If so, where and how much do they cost? Mostly what I've seen are maps of North America, Europe, etc.

What can I do with a non-mapping unit? I'd like to record the locations of our camps and other points of interest along the way and maybe make a rudimentary route map of our trip. I'd also like one with an altimeter (or do they all include this)?

Can anyone recommend a simple to use, idiot-proof model to start out with? Does Playskool make a My First GPS?

For now, I don't forsee using it as a navigational device when I'm home, but who knows maybe I'll get addicted to it.

Here's the best part... I'm prepared to spend, get ready for this, up to $150! Yep, I'm a big spender

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Hi Patty

Now you're talking. It is great fun to upload the game drive routes into Google Earth afterwards. The 3D capabilities and "movie" features of GE than enables your friends and family to "fly" with you from place to place and look at your pictures and more! Really cool!

There are many ways to start as you know already!

GPS with decent mapping features are still expensive. It is better IMO to start with a simple Garmin eTrex ($89 at amazon) with a cable (extra) that can hook up to a PC (for up/downloading waypoints).

As you travel, you let the GPS "track" your movements. Then you load the waypoints or routes into Google Earth afterwards.

To get more fancy (if you want to see your position on a map while in Africa), you need a Pocket PC or notebook with GPS attached, map software and maps. But this will be more expensive.

Eben

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Eben!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Hi Patty
Send me an email to luangwablondes at juno dot com. I will direct you to a site in South Africa that will be more specific in your needs. And you can aid in mapping Africa in the process.

Robbie
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Patty

On our personal page www.go-safari.com, you can see the routes of my two recent Kilimanjaro climbs in 3D!

I used the Garmin and "TRACKED" the climb before uploading it into Google Earth!

Seeing the mountain in 3D and "flying" around it is really something!

Go to Tanzania, then Kilimanjaro and download the GE file!