Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   opinions on Kenya/Tanzania trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/opinions-on-kenya-tanzania-trip-642048/)

Cdnfolks Aug 26th, 2006 10:22 AM

opinions on Kenya/Tanzania trip

Found this in a Canadian travel brochure. Sounds great to us - using flights to cut down on long drives. Any opinions?
Day 1 - arrive Nairobi o/night Serena Hotel
Day 2 - Nairobi touring o/night Serena Hotel
Day 3 - drive Nairobi-Mt Kenya o/n Mt Kenya Safari Club
Day 4 - drive MTSC - Sweetwaters o/n Sweetwaters Tented Camp
Day 5 - fly Nanyuki - Masai Mara - 2 nights Mara Serena Lodge
Day 7 - fly to Serengeti via Nairobi and Kilimanjro - 2 nights Serengeti Serena Lodge
Day 9 - Drive Serengeti - Gorge/Crater
2 nights Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
Day 11 - Drive to Arusha - fly to Nairobi
Price quote for Sept 06 - $6273 CDN pp
Could I get a better price from a different safari operator?

LyndaS Aug 26th, 2006 11:16 AM

From one Cdn to another-
I booked a similar, but longer group trip through Micato for 6648.90 pp Cdn (5990.0 USD), it was mostly flying with 2 drive portions but it was 13 nights - all full board of course. Properties were mostly Sopa/Serena; other than MKSC at Mt Kenya and a CC tented cap in the Mara.

So, if it is a group trip, it would be a little pricey. Mine was 511.45/night - yours would be 627.30/night.

If it's a private safari, others on the board can reply better than I can, but I have heard many times from everyone that a private safari could run you even less than this!

Patty Aug 26th, 2006 11:42 AM

Does the quote include airfare from Canada? If not, then it's very pricey and you should be able to get the same itinerary for much less.

Look in Lynda's East Africa index thread for the names of operators others have used for Kenya/Tanzania http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34725679

The bigger problem may be availability if you're planning to travel in Sep 06.

stakerk Aug 26th, 2006 12:19 PM

If you are going as far north as Sweetwaters, I suggest you go up to the Samburu. I believe it has the gameviewing is second only to the Mara and then fly from there to the Mara.

I suggest you consider the following tour operators: We used Southern Cross, very competitive on the price. However, Eastern and Southern, and African Serendipity were very close. Availability will be an issue.

good luck

Cdnfolks Aug 27th, 2006 07:10 AM

In response - our trip is planned for Sept 07, and the prices quoted do not include air fare from Canada.
Is it proper procedure to email the various companies (Southern Cross, E & S, etc.) and ask them to quote on our proposed itinerary?

shamim Aug 27th, 2006 11:18 PM

Hallo all,
Just a piece of advice
Please note that prices vary from Month of travel and period (for instance easter and x-mas )and also most lodges have increased their prices soo much with 40% that it has caused us tour operators to increase the prices as well.
So if the person who travelled on micato travelled in March 2005 or anytime last year then the price will definately change in 2007 and there is a big difference as well. The cost of the barrel has also gone up worldwide forcing the local flight operators and gas stations to increase the prices and we also increase the cost of our vehicles as well. We have to go with the flow -its business.
But with the issue of getting several tour companies to quote for you would be a good idea - go ahead.
Thank you
Shamim - Nairobi,Kenya

stakerk Aug 28th, 2006 04:27 AM

yes, email them with your exact itinerary, preferably exact dates and they will quote you a price

dssxxxx Aug 28th, 2006 04:30 AM

I have to disagree with shamin.

Roys have told us the prices were increased minimally over 2006 and have given firm pricing. Also, about 5 other operators/outfitters have said the same and quoted firm pricing.

Cdnfolks Aug 28th, 2006 11:46 AM

Thanks for your input. I sent the itinerary to Serendipity and they promptly responded with some excellent suggestions (ie some of the domestic flights were only daily and if missed, an unexpected overnight would be happening. They thought the overall itinerary was too rushed and suggested a 13 day equivalent. Prices to follow...