Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Opinion on staying inside or outside the Masai Mara? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/opinion-on-staying-inside-or-outside-the-masai-mara-703310/)

alldaytravel May 7th, 2007 05:11 PM

Opinion on staying inside or outside the Masai Mara?

Hi All - Any opinion on whether it is better to stay inside or outside the Masai Mara? Would you accept a lower end camp in order to stay inside the Masai Mara vs a nicer camp outside the Mara? Curious on everyone's opinion here. I will be traveling in September - peak season for the migration in the Masai Mara.

I do realize you can do night game drives when staying outside of the park, but not sure if that is enough of an advantage??

Thanks everyone...

atravelynn May 7th, 2007 07:20 PM

In or out, there are no barriers and the animals don't know the difference. It doesn't matter. Your guide will know where the action is and go there, whether in or out of the official park boundaries.

It is not like staying on the Disney World grounds or offsite, where on the ground puts in the midst of things and offsite means you must allow for daily transport time.

On one Mara trip of about 10 days, I spent only 2 or 3 game drives in the park and the rest were outside. I wouldn't have known the difference, but I asked the guide.

HariS May 7th, 2007 07:30 PM

Outside, fewer vehicles perhaps?

afrigalah May 7th, 2007 07:40 PM

I found a mobile camp outside the reserve to be an advantage. Vehicles surrounded a leopard with impala kill but had to depart at dusk to keep to their schedule (whether it was mealtime or a night driving restriction). We were able to stay on and witness a hyena take over the kill.

John

atravelynn May 7th, 2007 07:50 PM

There was a difference when we went to the southern and eastern end of the park. So many more vehicles.

nyama May 7th, 2007 11:07 PM

Rules have changed. Mara Serena is offering night drives now. Don't know if this exception only applies to Mara Serena, or only to lodges/camps in the Mara Conservancy area of the reserve.

HariS, outside also means more cattle and Maasai if you're staying at the wrong places.

sandi May 8th, 2007 04:21 AM

In September game can be found everywhere, whether in the Triangle, the Reserve itself or the Greater Masai Mara area including private lands. And from day-to-day, game opportunities will change and be different.

While the Mara Serena is supposed to be offering night game drives, I haven't figured out where and how far you must drive to get outside park boundaries; the fee is quite steep... believe about $80/person.

HariS May 8th, 2007 06:15 AM

Thanks, Nyama and Sandi.....lots to consider before planning a visit.

The way i look at it, i would consider picking amongst:

1.)Serian
2.)Rekero tented
3.)Little Gov (from my 2002 visit)

for hopefully a visit in one of the next couple of years.

nyama May 8th, 2007 08:24 AM

sandi, I think that the Mara Serena night game drives take place inside the Mara Triangle. Otherwise they would spend half of the drive time (19:00-22:30) for transfer.

Btw, on Mara Conservancy's website it says "Working with Serena on a permanent camp on the Mara River for 40-50 beds." Does anyone know the status of this project?

atravelynn May 8th, 2007 09:00 AM

I was also under the impression that the Serena night drives were inside the park. Does anyone know how that came about?

lmavolio Jun 25th, 2007 09:16 AM

Are you limited as to where you can do game drives depending on whether you are inside or outside of the Mara Triangle?

sandi Jun 25th, 2007 09:58 AM

Latest word is that the Mara Serena will not be doing night game drives. Their request seems to have been turned down.

Anyway, from where the Serena is located, it's a long long drive to most every area outside the Triangle or Great Masai Mara Reserve.

nyama Jun 25th, 2007 12:10 PM

sandi, "Great Masai Mara Reserve", is this your creation? So far we talked about "Masai Mara National Reserve", or just "Masai Mara" if we meant the whole eco-system including adjoining group ranches.

sandi Jun 25th, 2007 01:12 PM

nyama -

Didn't mean to throw a cog into this wheel. But when you enter the actual gates to the Masai Mara, it doesn't say "you're entering the Triangle"... (wish I had my photos uploaded, believe I have one of the sign), rather something to the effect "greater Masai Mara something something...." If anyone happens to have such photo, please let me know how much I recall, or if far off-base. The "greater whatever..." does NOT include the private conservation lands, only the Triangle and Masai Mara Reserve which can be found on other maps clearly denoted.

nyama Jun 25th, 2007 02:04 PM

sandi, Mara Triangle is the Trans-Mara section of Masai Mara National Reserve, located west of Mara River. The section east of Mara River is the Narok section, sub-divided into Musiara section (north of Talek River) and Sekenani section (south of Talek River). All these sections make the Masai Mara National Reserve.

Mara Triangle is managed by Mara Conservancy Ltd. on behalf of the Trans-Mara County Council, the rest of the reserve is managed directly by Narok County Council.

There is at least one sign that clearly refers to Mara Triangle, if you enter the Triangle from Sekenani section at South Mara Bridge. The sign at Mara Bridge Gate says: "County Council of Trans Mara - Mara Conservancy - Welcome to Mara Triangle"

sandi Jun 25th, 2007 03:06 PM

nyama -

You've a better mind than I at this point. That's what I was thinking "Trans-Mara" - it just wasn't connecting with my gray matter. But, have to admit, I've never seen/noticed any sign indicating Triangle, so gather you're correct on that.

There are some things I notice right off... others that just slide past and to which I pay little attention.

Thanks for clarifying.