Open week in SA October 15-22

Jun 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Open week in SA October 15-22

We'll be visiting friends for a couple days in Hout Bay (our 3 rd trip to Cape Town) then we plan to pick up a rental car on the 15th. We need to be in J'burg for a flight home around 8pm (20:00) on the 22nd. Expecting we'll be too late for the wild flowers to the NW, we are leaning toward driving to Knysna along the coast then back again "inland" to drop the car back at the airport and catch a flight to JNB. OR should we drive on toward Port Elizabeth (maybe even do an overnight at Addo, if our 10 day Zim safari prior to visiting Capetown leaves us wanting a bit more) and catch a flight from there to JNB.

(I've been checking the airlines for the interSA flights, and PE flights seem to limit us to leaving in the early AM while we could fly back from CPT comfortably in the afternoon. We really don't need to spend most of a day at JNB airport)

Suggestions?
Jun 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM

Check Kulula (?) and British Airways. There are nonstops PE to JNB at 1 and 3:30 PM, and a later one. I used Kayak to find them. A one-way rental CPT to PE doesn't seem to be a problem.

Of course I would add Addo, but I am also curious about Mountain Zebra NP. With ten days, you may have time to check it out.

Have fun!! Where are you going in Zim?
Jun 1st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Victoria Falls, Imbalala and Hwange ( Davison's)

Yep..kulula, mango is another I think..I''ll probably get a bit more into it next week. Possibly
We could get a flight out of East London to JNB, too. I think we have some options.
Jun 2nd, 2012, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

I've been getting some good (flight) info from 1time.co.za Anyone used them to book flights?
Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

OK. Gotten some valuable input from my friend in CPT. Looking like I'll get RT JNB- CPT flights on 13th returning 22. stay with her 13, 14, pick up rental car 15 th and drive to Wilderness for 2 nts, then Addo for 2 nights. Drive back via Prince Alfred. Haven't decided to do one night there and then the 21st in Franschoek (making it an easy drive to the airport on the 22nd, or stay 2 nights in PA.

She's also sent me some great links for reasonably priced accomodations, most self-catering or guesthouses. San parks show some availability for tent lodging in Addo on our dates...but I'm also looking at a nearby lodge in a private reserve. Having a pal on the ground over there really helps. I'll share once everything is firmed up, and definately write up a trip rpt on our return.

Search this Thread