Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Open Planned Bathroom at Rui Touareg Hotel in Boa Vista (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/open-planned-bathroom-at-rui-touareg-hotel-in-boa-vista-960444/)

Lingering Dec 26th, 2012 09:46 AM

Open Planned Bathroom at Rui Touareg Hotel in Boa Vista

Has anyone been to the Rui Touareg Hotel in Boa Vista Cape Verde. The room description says an open planned bathroom. Surely this does not mean you cannot take a shower with a curtain between you and the bed. Can anyone give us a more detailed description please.

sandi Dec 26th, 2012 01:46 PM

Can't comment specifically what this hotel offers or means by 'open planned bathroom' - but from my travels, this might just mean NO separate room for the commode. In other words... shower, commode and wash basins are just planned in 'open' space... Or, there might be a separate room for commode, but bath/shower share space with the sleeping area.... in other words 'no privacy.' Can vary widely.

This hotel appears to be one of a chain, and doing a search did find a site that showed an 800# (believe it was an 888... assuming this is in the US, so a free call)... why not phone or write to their booking/reservations office for specifics.

If you do, let us know what they mean by 'open plan.'

MissGreen Jan 2nd, 2013 12:27 AM

Are there any pics on tripadvisor that might give you an idea.

I know your concern. I just stayed in a hotel in Jakarta as an overnight transfer and it was just one room... jacuzzi, shower, vanity and toilet were in the one room. Albiet the toilet was behind the frosted shower. A disaster on a first holiday!

MissGreen Jan 2nd, 2013 12:32 AM

I not been to the hotel but Just went to tripadvisor and found this statement

Also the en suites do not have doors, so when your having a shower the whole world can see you...

The full article...

“how can you class this a 5*??? joke...”

Reviewed 26 December 2012 NEW

people found this review helpful

Myself (18), Mum (50+), Cousin (21) and Aunty (50+) stayed at this dreadful hotel...

The only good thing to say about this hotel is the cleaners do an excellent job apart from that.. what a dreadful place this is;

Negatives about the hotel:

--Beaches are unsafe, walking alone or in a group... if you do walk along the beautiful beaches always have the hotel in sight.
---I would recommend if your over 18 then defiantly go in the adults section...
---Food is the worse we have ever had in any hotel, the restaurants were like a zoo at feeding time, obviously these type of visitors are devoid of manners...
--- the A la Carte restaurant was a joke, they brought the food from the main restaurant and microwaved it to keep it warm.
--- When you get to the hotel there is nothing around so don't expect to go for a wander as even the rep recommended that we did not leave the hotel grounds as you are not safe.
---- The animation team don't understand no and pester you ever day.. even in the adults section!
---- Also the en suites do not have doors, so when your having a shower the whole world can see you...
I would recommend the jeep safari, as you do get to see the cape verde way of life... however although the holiday brochures say this is like the Caribbean it is not, it may be on the same lateral line as places such as Barbados, but its also on the same line as Sudan...

Flight was awful... what kind of company do not serve food or provide entertainment on a 6.5hr flight..

Cape Verde in general is third world country and there is a lot of poverty, the roads are not roads and are tracks in a desert and if you are expecting to sunbath then don't bother going as the wind is horrendous...

I can safety say it was an experience going but i will not be returning...

sandi Jan 2nd, 2013 09:16 AM

MissGreen - nice of you to take the time to check TA and learn/read/provide the comments of what this hotel means by 'open plan'

In some ways it's what I thought as when on safari in many African countries, with the exception of city hotels or lodges out in the bush, most of the tented camps are much as you explain above. With commode, shower, tub (if they have) and wash basins in the same open area at the rear of tents (even those that cost big $$$$ )... not many complaints though from safari goers. Seems whether couples, friends or family sharing these accommodations, they leave the other/s their private time for abulations.

Certainly no issue if on one's own, but even when I've been with male or female travel companions, we've never had any.

I do have to say though on my recent visit in both Kenya and Tanzania, noticed that many of the newer tent/cottages camps are placing the commode in a separate room... but the rest is open with amazing claw foot or artistically-designed bathtubs set right smack in the middle of the area. For those that have outdoor showers, the tents/cottages have been positioned with privacy in mind in such a way that the person taking a shower can't be seen from another.