Only good news from Zimbabwe!

Sep 12th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Only good news from Zimbabwe!

Hello! Would you believe it ..... Zim beating the Aussies in the Twenty 20 WC game!!! I would think .......that's the only bright spot in their news in a long time, but, this should be a major shock!!! I wish i stayed up to watch it ...... but, as you will know the Aussies will rebound to win this WC too ....
Sep 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Not so sure, SA is also lookin good and in this 20 over format you never know.
Sep 13th, 2007, 06:04 AM

having no idea what Hari was talking about (I could guess but wasn't sure) I googled Twenty 20 WC and came up with this link (the page takes a while to load)
http://www.thetwenty20cup.co.uk/

Apparently Zim beating Oz is HUGE...
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Now England crushed Zim today, so tomorrow is England vs Australia. Australia have to win or they are eliminated. Wouldn't that be a shame!
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Bots: SA choke in the semi finals, usually

What is India going to do here? the mystery remains .... no expectations as the big man is resting himself .....
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM

hi, hari -

I've tried to start a thread about this on the lounge - trying to spread the word about cricket to the colonies - but it's an uphill task.

Windies are off home already, and Pakistan are already through to the super 8s. so go india in their next match, and go England v Australia too.

no satallite so we have to "make do " with the radio - but the commentary is so good, it's not much of a sacrifice.

did you catch any of the recent england v India one day series? great series which we were lucky to win.

regards, ann
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM

who is the big man?
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM

? Tendulkar - possibly - joke is he's tiny in stature but in cricketing terms, huge.

regards, ann
Sep 14th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Tendulkar is probably the best ever.

England won the one-dayers but were very unfortunate not to have won the first test to draw the test series.
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM

"Probably the best ever"

Best ever Indian maybe, certainly one of the best ever, but I think there are more deserving candidates for the that title. I'll throw in 2, Don Bradman and Gary Sobers.
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Matt - Take on board your point.

However, I think comparing Bradman to Sobers to Tendulkar is unfair. The nature of the sport has changed beyond recognition. Perhaps its fairer to compare Bradman to his contemporaries, Sobers to his contemporaries and Tendulkar to his. Perhaps, cricket needs to be split into 20 year slots to enable fair comparisons. On this basis, Bradman is definitely the greatest. Sobers - dont know; throw Gavaskar, Border, Botham, Hadlee and some others into the mix.

On this basis, I'd like to rephrase that to say, Tendulkar was perhaps the greatest cricketer of his era.
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Ann,

Thanks ..... we will need plenty of luck in the pro20 with our sloppy fielding. Saw the last 4 games of the England odi series and it was fascinating and big man in sublime form!!! He is the best ever!!! Imagine playing under pressure from over a billion fans every day from the time you are 16 years of age ???

Hari
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Amol,

England were lucky to have gotten that far in the first test ........ according to the reports i read, it rained all over England all week except at lords ....... but, it did come down just when they needed that final wicket

Hari
Sep 14th, 2007, 07:56 AM

hi, Hari,

I heard a story about Sachen having to go out with his family at home in disguise, complete with false beard! that's why he likes the UK so much as he can be incognito. [though not so much in Birmingham or Manchester which have very large populations of indian origin, hence the crowds there which were more like england playing away, not at home].

On this tour, commentators kept saying that "this may be his last match at..." - I do hope not.

regards, ann
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Ann - I think what makes Sachin great is that in a country obsessed with cricket, where he's worshipped, he's a simple lad with his head firmly screwed on. I've had the good fortune of meeting him and spending a few minutes with him in a London hotel. His humility was a real eye-opener.
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ann,

Amol is right! That's as humble a human being as there can be!!! and we as a country are very proud of him ........ sometimes, he sets his own standards too high and it is quite sad to see him struggle at times, to match up to his best! That was his final tour of England for sure......i do not think he will play another 4 or 5 years. Too much cricket enforced by the corrupt and incompetent cricket board has taken it's toll with regards to injuries etc etc.,

Hari
Sep 14th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Hi, Hari & amol,

he has been a wonderful player, and it'll be a shame if we don't see him in england again; he was not at his best in the test series, and looked really out of sorts.

am i right in thinking he's not in the 20/20? At 48 for 4 as i type, looks like they could have done with him!

regards, ann
Sep 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Running the risk of sounding like a dull old fa*t, 20/20 isnt even a game. No serious cricketer should get involved with it.
Sep 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM

hi, amol,

my son, aged 16 would certainly agree with you about 20/20.

But if it increases interest in the game generally, particualrly among the UK's "ex colonies" [meaning the US of course] is it such a bad thing.

anyway, I'm enjoying listening to it now as I type this! a good player is agood player, whatever the form of the game, as I suspect the aussies wil end up showing us.

regards, ann

regards, ann
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Ann,

Cricket will never catch on in the USA beyond the expats (who will follow it anyways ........)

Hari

Search this Thread