Only a month away-zambia questions

Jun 16th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Only a month away-zambia questions

We will be in Zambia for our first Africa trip in just over a month, staying at Luangwa River lodge, Kaingo and Chiawa. A few general packing questions:

-Do you take at least one pair of jeans to wear at night?

-Has anyone been there in late July to know how cool it can get? I see one site that says down to 3 degrees C and another that says 11 C for a low.

-Any women out there bother with a hair dryer? I understand there aren't outlets in the rooms at Kaingo or Chiawa but do you go to a central place to dry or just let it go? I have a portable one I bought in Europe a while back but if there isn't a need to take it....

-I read a previous post saying Zambia has 230V, is that the same as 220 so European style adaptor will work?

Thanks for your input.

Debbie
Jun 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Hi Debbie - I can help with a few of these, anyway...

I do take jeans. I like to get out of the dusty khakis at night. It's just a matter of personal preference. Since I only wear them ont he occasional evening, I don't launder them. If you were in camp for at least 2 or 3 nights I'm sure they'd dry for you though.

I've never been in July. In May this year I needed my fleece, and def. in mid-June last year. I take a thick pair of socks and a long-sleeved shirt for bed time. (And a pair of silk wide-legged pj pants). For game drives, layer. I wear a t-shirt, then usually a half-zip fleece top, and sometimes a fleece vest over that. Once the sun comes out you will be down to the T-shirt.

I have taken a dryer. You can use it at LRL and Chiawa. (I didn't take mine this year.) But I knew I was going to be in cities and getting ready for the trip home last year I wanted to have it. I usually shower during siesta time and this is enough time to let it dry naturally.

You need a different plug adapter for these; it's three pronged - however they have plenty of these at Chiawa and at LRL they provide a blow dryer in all the rooms anyway. So - maybe leave it at home and save the space!

Hope this helps a little - You're going to have a great time!!!

Sharon
Jun 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Debbie-I take it everything got taken care of by your TA?
You're going to love both areas of Zambia that you are traveling to.
Jun 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Sharon, thanks for the info-that helps alot.

And no, the TA did not step up but I still don't want to go into that too much yet because others still have unresolved issues. fortunately the camp operators were aware of the situation.

Debbie
Jun 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Anybody else?
Jun 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Debbie - I believe Zambia, UK and most of Europe are now UE standard of 230 V.
Per the below website in regards to 220 versus 230 volts:

"Generally, this difference (between 220 and 230 V is inconsequential, as most appliances are built to tolerate current a certain percentage above or below the rated voltage

The adapter I used is is "G" type as shown on this chart:

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm
Jun 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Debbie,
I have been in Zambia in late July and it can be very cold, mornings are around freezing temps. Night and early morning game drives required a fleece and another jacket but by mid morning you'll start peeling the layers and be in shorts by mid afternoon.

Siesta showers are a good suggestion because it will probably be too cold to want to take a shower in the mornings! Don't bother with the blow dryer. The humidity level is really low and your hair will dry in record time. I do take a blow dryer for the more urban settings but usually the hotels provide one.
Jun 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

wow,we didn't expect it to be that cold. I guess I was looking at Lusaka temps which are warmer. I suppose we should consider it a refreshing break from the Phoenix summer.
Jun 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Debbie - I forgot to mention that I did take gloves - and used them. Now that I see you are in Phoenix - please take a fleece hat or ear coverings as well. Again, you will be down to shorts and a T-shirt once the sun comes out in earnest, but it does get cold in the wind on those drives!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
sniktawk

Take some warm clothes it will be very cold in the morning. Also some anti-histamine for the inevitable Tsetse bites!!!