One week in Kenya

Jul 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

One week in Kenya

I need some help. I am going on an organized tour that visits Aberdare, Samburu and Masai Mara returning to Nairobi on Sept. 10. I don't leave Kenya until the 18th. Any suggestions on how I should book my last week? I'm thinking of visiting either Amboseli or Tsavo and then spending some days near Mombassa. Please help!!!!!
Jul 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I was in Tsavo West and Amboseli in February and you can find my trip report and photos here -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34566072

If you want to end up somewhere on the southern coast, you could consider a one way driving safari starting from Nairobi and visiting Amboseli, Tsavo West, Tsavo East (in that order) and ending in Mombasa. I haven't been to Tsavo East but a regular poster here, Jan, goes there quite often and stays at Satao Camp. From Nairobi to Amboseli is about 4 hours drive. Amboseli to Finch Hattons where we stayed in Tsavo West is about 3.5 hours, but the drive is shorter if you stay Kilaguni lodge (we had to drive all the way back to Kilaguni and then take the road that goes from there to the Chyulu gate to exit). I'm not sure about Tsavo West to Tsavo East but estimate it's about 3 hours give or take (and it really depends on where you're staying as the two parks are huge), most of that drive will be within the two parks with game viewing en route. I believe Tsavo East to Mombasa will be another 2.5 to 3 hours.

You could also fly. There are daily flights from Nairobi to Amboseli and I believe there are now daily flights linking Nairobi with Tsavo West on Safarilink. I'm not sure about getting to Mombasa so that's something you'll have to research if you'd prefer to fly.

Hope this helps.
Aug 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions Patty. I have read your trip report and it sounded so wonderful. I can't wait to go

Search this Thread