Search

Don't Do's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't Do's

What are some of the "Don't Do's" while in a camp or in the bush on safari? Besides Do Not Run, Don't get out of the vehicle, what else? I'm sure the camp director will give us all the info, but would like to know in advance so it will hopefully sink into my pea brain!
Thanks,
Dennis
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM

Dont feed the animals, dont pet the lions when they walk right by the vehicle, dont discard litter, be softly spoken at sightings, dont stand at sightings unless given word that its safe, offer to switch seats with other guests in the vehicle so everyone can have time in the prime spots and most of all - be punctual!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

so I can't bring a bag of peanuts to feed the elephants? darn!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Great list of don'ts. I'll add one more.
When the vehicle is stopped and people are taking pictures of something, don't do a lot of jostling around in your seat, which can shake the vehicle and ruin the photos.

You are right that your camp manager will review the safety do's and dont's.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 01:52 AM

Yeah, that jostling around is a huge one - no one expects their fellow guests not to move but show some consideration in the timing!

Also, do NOT call out "kitty, kitty" to the lions or make any other calls to any other animals in an attempt to get them to look your way for a better photograph.

Do not dismiss the safety instructions assuming that you know better or that they don't make sense - if you don't understand the reasons behind them, ask for more information. At the end of the day, assume the staff who run these camps for a living a) know better than a tourist who only sees part of the picture and b) really do have YOUR wellbeing in mind - they won't last long in the job if their charges are injured or killed regardless of the indemnity clauses they may have signed!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM

I second the NO "kitty Kitty" or whistleing at any animals!! Also if when you are videoing you tell your husband to be quiet then please remember that others would probably like you to be quiet when they are videoing. I don't mean total silence but just be aware of your surroundings and the people you are with.

Have a fantastic trip
J