One day in Alexandria!

Aug 4th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

One day in Alexandria!

One day visit from cruise ship,highlights. We need a must see itinerary.
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:35 AM
sandi

Check with the cruise line what the Alexandria tour includes. There are some interesting sights in Alexandria.

But why not check if they have a day tour down to Cairo to see the Pyramids! Most cruise ships offer this.

Aug 5th, 2003, 04:47 AM
LizFrazier

I think that she/he is looking for "Must See" places from people who have been there.
The tours offered on the cruise ships costs double what you can get it for if you step off the ship. They will probably have no less than 10 or 20 tours. Some folks like to go on their own, I know my husband and I do. Who wants to be trapped with a bus full of cruise ship folks for the day.
Usually if you get a cab when you get off and go on your own you get the best guided tour of them all.
If you ask on the Cruise Board, as you probably have, others will tell you this too.
It sounds exciting, have a wonderful trip. Liz

Aug 5th, 2003, 01:47 PM
sandi

Liz -

I agree about not going on the actual tour/s that the cruise ship provides (at a cost), my response, was to ask the cruise line what the tour includes, and what/if they provide for a day-tour to Cairo.

As far as going on the bus (big groups) that the cruise line arrange - I wouldn't. But you're not guaranteed that there will always be taxis and guides available at all ports.

Too many friends assumed this (I've never been on a cruise, nor do I ever plan to)and got off the ship to find, nobody was there.

Somehow you have to ascertain whether taxis and guides will be available in Alexandra - otherwise as these friends have done, they've found a local tour operator and prearrange for pick-up with a driver/guide for the day.

As a guideline - on average in Europe (Mediterranean ports - France/Italy, etc.) for 6-hrs. a couple pays about $100 which includes buying lunch for the driver. I'm sure you can probably pay less in Egypt.

So find out what the tours include and then you'll have an idea of whether this is what you're interested in seeing/doing, even on your own.

Aug 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM

Hi gloriaed( Is this the same Ed and Gloria who went to Zimbabwe last year?)
We were in Alexandria for 1 day on a cruise ship 2 years ago and you are right to want to avoid a cruise ship tour. That was the one and only cruise ship tour that we did and it was horrible. It was the absolute lowpoint of the cruise. Waste of time and money.

Friends on the same cruise had hired a private guide who was excellent. She took them to Cairo and they avoided the hordes of cruise ship buses and saw so much more than we did. If you are interested I can get their private guide contact.

We did not see much of Alexandria but I felt very uncomfortable as we returned to our ship. It was a Friday night and the streets were packed and the expressions on the crowds as they watched the tour buses was very unsettling.
Aug 8th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

HI Waverley:

Yes we are one and the same Ed & Gloria. We can not seem to stay home. Yes, we would be very happy to have the name and contact information for your friends guide. All the best and many thanks. Ed & Gloria

Search this Thread