Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   On safari, everyone's favourite animal to view? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/on-safari-everyones-favourite-animal-to-view-588046/)

santharamhari Feb 3rd, 2006 10:06 PM

On safari, everyone's favourite animal to view?

Hi! What is everyone's absolute favourite animal to view........you are allowed to name just one........

I'll start.......cheetah......easy choice for me.....

johan_belgium Feb 3rd, 2006 11:09 PM

Hari,

My favourite mammal: zebra;
My favourite bird: malachite kingfisher.

Greetings,

Johan

sonali74 Feb 4th, 2006 04:46 AM

Well Hari, There is only one cat for me and its stronger than a cheetah any day
Guess!!!!!,

Sonali.

LyndaS Feb 4th, 2006 07:11 AM

I'm having trouble deciding between a cheetah, a lion or a leopard. Hmmmm. (pause for 5 min)
Hmmmm.
Lion, yes I think the lion would have to be the one!

bigcountry Feb 4th, 2006 07:32 AM

wild dogs....amazing animals

girlpolo33 Feb 4th, 2006 07:36 AM

...leopard, for it's other world beauty.

Kavey Feb 4th, 2006 09:31 AM

Cheetah!

But it's closely followed by:
Elephant
Leopard
and
Wild Dog

I adore most animal sightings and bird ones too but there is something special about cheetahs for me - perhaps becuase they are a slight underdog in the big cat league, perhaps because of their extreme beauty and grace in motion?

A different question is what's at the top of my viewing wishlist?
That would be
Pangolin
and
Serval

tuskerdave Feb 4th, 2006 09:37 AM

hi, Elephant for me. love them to death. love them even more when they chasing me 20ft behind my truck!
thx, d

lisa Feb 4th, 2006 10:09 AM

I could watch elephants all day long.

thit_cho Feb 4th, 2006 10:12 AM

I stop every time I see a lilac-breasted roller -- I must have 100 photos of this bird from all my safaris.

Wish list, some of which I'm hoping to see in Kgalagadi: zorilla, honey badger, brown hyena, striped hyena, aardwolf (I've seen one, but I wasn't quick enough to get decent photos), aardvark and pangolin.

matnikstym Feb 4th, 2006 11:13 AM

herbivore-elephant, like lisa, could watch them all day
carnivore-lion
bird-carmine bee eater

Leely Feb 4th, 2006 12:11 PM

From my Africa-traveling friend: elephant.

Me: giraffes, especially when they're running.

My # wishlist animal: gorilla.

Have a soft spot for hyenas and warthogs.

NoFlyZone Feb 4th, 2006 01:02 PM

While I loved seeing all the big animals, the one which was the most thrilling was a dung beetle, pushing his (her?) ball of dung down the middle of the track just outside Keekorok in the Mara.

jasher Feb 4th, 2006 01:13 PM

Wild dog or leopard, I really can't decide!

Cheers,
Julian

Kavey Feb 4th, 2006 01:49 PM

Oh yes, wishlist also includes honeybadger and aardvark and, just the same, a longer look at an aardwolf as we too just glimpsed one!

Roccco Feb 4th, 2006 01:56 PM

Leopards do it for me, although I also enjoy hippos and elephants. The hippos grunting definitely add to the enjoyment and I suppose that you would need to be in South Luangwa or some other place where there are just hundreds of hippos together so that you could get the full effect.

Unfortunately, I have very limited experience with cheetahs (saw a mother with three cubs at Singita, and briefly tracked a cheetah on foot at Simbambili). Hopefully I will get more experience with cheetahs in Tanzania.

Also, no experience yet with wild dogs, although I am sure that I will find them fascinating and will have to resist the urge to want to approach them on foot!

tuskerdave Feb 4th, 2006 02:01 PM

kavey, this is for you. about the 5th one down on the page-click on it to enlarge it bit.
cheers,d

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1f4e76/4/

johan_belgium Feb 4th, 2006 02:10 PM

Rocco,

When staying at Duma Tau, we were have our cup of coffee/tea and a couple of dogs just passed us (less than a meter distance) before they crossed Zibalianja lagoon. They didn't care about us at all. Would be a different story with the big cats.

Johan

sandi Feb 4th, 2006 02:16 PM

Giraffe (so graceful w/ great lashes)Baby Warthogs (with curly tails high)
Cheetah (magnificent)
Male Lion (with a great mane)
Vervet Monkey (they're such trouble makers)
Tommies (by far have the cutest faces and they're born to run)
Dik-Dik (for the way the name rolls of the tongue, besides they're so cute)
Ellees (all sizes, but especially the babies)
Eland (so powerful)
Zebra (love stripes, and these are vertical)
Lilac Breated Roller

... another vote for a ball of dung being rolled down the road.
and one of my favorite pics (35mm) of two dung beetles "doing it" in the middle of the road! Yup, leave it to me to spot this.

Leopard, but I haven't seen but two on all my safaris.

Kavey Feb 4th, 2006 02:24 PM

dave, i'm jealous! :)