OMG! We're booked!

Aug 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Original Poster

OMG! We're booked!

Can't believe we're on our way in 312 days on our first safari! We ended up with 8 of us going (5 adults, 1 teen, 2 pre-teens) and decided on using ATR for the same reasons as BostonGal.

Itinerary:
Stop over in London -2 nights (not included in ATR itinerary)
Moivaro Lodge - 1
Tarangire Treetops -2: (Couldn't get 4 tents at Swala Camp, so we ended up here)
Gibbs Farm - 1: (Elected to stay here instead of on Ngorongoro rim so we can walk and run around. Travelling with 2 young boys they will need this. Also we did not want to stay somewhere with buffet food lines)
Olduvai Tented Camp -1: Our only rustic camp, but we're looking forward to this!
Migration Camp - 3
Fly from Serona Airstrip to Selous
Sand Rivers - 3
Holiday Inn in Dar-1: (this is included in ATR itinerary)

We're getting together tonight to practice our sundowners! (We'll no doubt have that part down perfectly by July 2006!)

Now for the cameras and gear part!

Thanks all of you for your help! Oh, by the way the books I ordered were excellent, especially the ones for the boys!

Chow for now!
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:50 AM

Congratulations -- I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:51 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Just watch out , Safaris can be addicting . Just as Roccco!!!

Congratulations!
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Congratulations, You will be amazed just how fast those 312 days go by. Which for me is the great part of planning in advance- I just love having something to plan and anticipate!! Enjoy, It sounds like a wonderful trip. Suzi
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:56 AM

Congratulations!!!! Do you already have flights booked as well? We are hoping to be back there in 365 days!

J
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your well wishes! This is really a special time for us!

We are working on flights now as we speak. We are working, separately, to get to London, as two families in our group (my family included) are using their FF to get to London. Then we'll purchase BA tickets from LHR to DAR. (ATR itinerary includes flight from DAR to JRO).

Is the Ecomony Plus category very much different from Business? We're debating between the two classes, and to be quite honest, we just can't do 7-9 hours in a plane in economy. Call us spoiled or whatever, but we know our limitations .

Guess I need to post in the airline section now, heh? - But can't abandon you guys here, you really are a great group of people! Very unique as far as forums come!!
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Hello,

RE whether Premium Economy is dfferent than business -- it really depends on which airline you fly. I've found that Premium Economy is a nice compromise for shorter flights, but for long-haul (12 hours) it's nice to have the fully-flat beds in business.

The main different between economy and premium economy is: more leg room; dedicated check-in counter; wider seats; more attentive cabin service; (rarely) better food. There is often a footrest on the seats which is nice, and they recline further.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Good for you. Everyone will really have a vacation to remember. The kids will have a lifetime to think back on it.
Aug 26th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Premium economy or World Traveller Plus as BA calls it is very different from business class. Essentially with WT+ you get a slightly wider seat, 6 more inches of legroom, a few additional inches of recline, and dedicated check-in desks at some but not all BA departure airports. I believe all other aspects are the same as regular economy. I find it to be just fine for a flight of 7-9 hours, but don't expect or try to compare it to business class.

Congrats on your booking!
Aug 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Congrats!!! I am very happy that in all my asking for advice, that I was able to put forth some help for someone else's trip!

Gibb's looked nice too. What a great trip you are going to have.

I have a stupid question... what does "practicing sundowners" mean??
Aug 26th, 2005, 12:36 PM
bat

Looks like a great trip--I am very jealous of the Sand Rivers segment.
Aug 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Bahama, wonderful!

Hint for BostonGal: out here in California it's still too early for me to practice sundowners. But it's getting closer to that time out in Boston.

Hiccup.
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Premier Economy/ World Traveller Plus is definitely worth it for taller or larger passengers like my husband and I (him being taller - 6 foot 6 inches tall - and I being larger - around 100 kilos if I got the conversion right).

That extra bit of space makes a huge difference on such a long flight.

Meals and drinks and service of these is as in regular economy (which is fine by us - we don't feel a need to pay a lot extra for fine food - we'll make up for crappy airline food once on the ground and besides, taste buds simply don't work the same way so high off the ground).

Aug 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Hello,

I think the Premium Economy vs Business choice is also affected by whether you'll be asleep or awake during the flight. My years as a junior doctor (intern/resident) taught me how to sleep anywhere, and if I'm asleep premium economy (or even economy, if it's on Virgin or Singapore) is usually fine. If I'm awake, I prefer business, because economy feels really claustrophobic after five or six hours. Some people, of course, feel the opposite way -- they find business much more restful if they need to sleep, because the beds lie flat.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Julian,
I'm one of those people that feels the opposite. I find economy OK if I'm going to be awake, but awful if I need to sleep.
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Hi Patty,

I'm curious -- do you try to fly during the day or overnight? Because I can sleep on planes, I usually try for overnight flights, so I can arrive and start enjoying my holiday -- the last thing I want to do is sleep when I land in a new place. I'd probably feel different if I couldn't sleep on planes.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hi Julian,
If I'm going to fly in economy and I have a choice of day or overnight flight, I'll choose the day time flight. I don't mind arriving at my destination at night, although often I just opt for the most direct flight(s), whatever that happens to be.

Search this Thread