Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive hotel near Johannesburg airport (1 night)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, my itin will have us landing about 9 pm and we will probably get a flight the next a.m. to continue to PE. Can someone recommend a hotel or two that is clean, inexpensive, and easy to get to/from? Thanks
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM

For my trip next July, I've booked the Holiday Inn Airport, which is around one-third the price of the Intercontinental. I think I'm paying US$100+, but its less than $200.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Hello,

On my last trip, I stayed at a posh hostel called the In-Africa Lodge for a couple of layovers in between flights on the recommendation of a friend in England. They have private rooms (not en-suite, however) for R130 per night, about $25. The place is 5 min from the airport and transfers are included. Gertie and Bruce, the owners, are very friendly and welcoming.

In my experience, it was generally quiet and peaceful-- not the sort of party atmosphere one associates with hostels. The only exception was my final night there before flying on the 8am Kulula flight to Nelspruit, and that was because of a rugby match -- South Africans are fanatical about their sport.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:08 AM

The In-Africa Lodge sounds interesting.

I was just at the Holiday Inn a couple of weeks ago. It is an airport hotel so it is a couple of minutes from the terminal. There is a shuttle back and forth.

I found it to be very nice with a welcome wine, fruit juice, and cheese table in the evening. Plus a restaurant and bar. I had room service.

My arrangements included breakfast the next day and there was a huge buffet with numerous selections.

There was a little garden area to walk around and stretch your legs.

All in all, very safe and more than adequate for me. I had stayed there once before when flight delays required an extra overnight on my way home.

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Forgot to mention: the R130 rate at the In-Africa Lodge includes continental breakfast. It's not a huge breakfast, and it's DIY (they provide the bread and fruit, but you need to toast it yourself and put the kettle on to make your own tea or coffee). But for R130, you can buy breakfast at the airport after you clear security.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby (10-15 minute walk) or you can order food delivered. I had a simple, delicious meal of calamari from Ocean Basket. Gertie and Bruce will also do a braai if you ask.

Cheers,
Julian