Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Need travel advice to Egypt in view of fresh violence post elections!!!!

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Our trip is booked from Dec 23-29th. (Cairo, Nile Cruise etc). We planned this trip in early November and were so eagerly awaiting. But the fresh violence in Cairo and the world attention it seems to be drawing is causing concern. Is it safe to travel? The travel agent seems to think its fine. But I want input from people who have been there recently or planning to travel in late december.

PLease advice!!! We are travelling with 2 kids.

Jaya
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 02:56 AM

Review www.travel.state.gov there is a fresh travel alert with
all the Recos listed.Elective travel with children would be
something I personally would not do currently.There are many
for profit commercial touts here and elsewhere that will tell you everything is fine.If I did this I would register for STEP program stay flexible stay out of downtown Cairo and insuremytrip.com.But best for me to wait.Looks like the Muslim Brotherhood will win the election if ever held not an auspicious sign going more and more fundamentalist.

Good luck!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Another poster is in Egypt right now with her 13 year old grandson - they arrived the day before the outbreak last week - here is her comment from another board:

"Just turned on the tv and see there are serious problems in Cairo. We are unaware of them and are fine..no worries. We were in Tahrir Square this morning and at the museum and everything was quite quiet. Spent the rest of the day at the pyramids and in other parts of the city. thought we should let people who are concerned about us know. We feel totally safe and have no fears. "

They did change their hotel in Cairo to Giza. They were in Abu Simbel last night and there were only 7 people at the sound and light show.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 04:55 AM

The travel agent will most always tell you it is fine...no commissions are paid if you don't go! Frankly after what I saw on the news last night I'm not sure about Cairo..anything could happen. I am concerned about a country where I can't really tell who is in charge. The cruise will probably be fine...your trip is short...I would probably stay in Giza and enjoy the pyramids etc. and the cruise. As for the recommendation above for insurance which this poster promotes in every post, I agree insurance is important however many times purchasing after government warnings against travel will not cover you...not sure of what warnings are out for what travelers but you might check on yours. Good luck...since you booked in Nov. you were probably prepared for some problems guess you will have to decide soon!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:23 AM

You might also post this question on some of the other boards (the Lounge and/or Europe just in case people there know of friends or relatives living or traveling in Egypt but aren't reading this board.

Good luck!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Do you ALL really determine what's doing anywhere by what you see on TV or read in the papers? If they reported calm everywhere, then no one would be watching or reading.....

While there are serious issues in Cairo, I've seen those pics a few years back when there was upheaval after elections in Nairobi, Kenya. Sure enough, what CNN was showing would scare the bejesus out of anyone, however, for tourists (and most residents) who were in-country, they wondered as they didn't see, tourists were not targetted or harmed.

In fact it was learned that on a day there was a protest planned - ripe for CNN - the guy who was paying protesters $5/day, didn't show and thus 'no protest' and thus 'nothing for CNN to report.'

Regardless where in the world, visitors are advised to stay away from any demonstrations and crowds... you won't be in any of these circumstances, I'm sure.

Yes, there are problems in Cairo/Egypt, but as the report above... rather ho-hum for visitors... they're having a fine ole time.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM

While I know it sounds (from afar) that Giza would be the right place to stay if you are coming on holiday, I disagree for the following reason -

Giza - especially out near the pyramids (which is where I guess most of you are thinking when you use the word Giza for location) is basically the ghetto of Cairo. It is NOT a nice area, and the bulk of locals that live out there are fairly poor and dependent on tourism for their livlihood. I am not saying you are in danger out there, but you will be prime target for ALL the annoying touts that can possibly camp at the doorstep of your hotel. If you are at a nice hotel (ex: Mena House or Le Meridian) you can't leave the hotel without someone approaching you to sell you something. This means not leaving your hotel for meals or even for a peaceful walk about.

The better location to choose (IMHO) is Zamalek. Zamalek is on an island in the Nile, between Giza and Cairo governates. There are a number of good hotels to choose from in this neighborhood from 5* to 2*. For those above that assume all I ever do is push my own agenda, please understand I am NOT even going to mention the name of hotels, unless someone asks. I just want to sing the praises of Zamalek as the location that is best for tourists at this time, or any other time. Zamalek is the home to about 70% of the worlds Embassies. This gives the area a very International and secure feel. There are no less than 20 restaurants a short walk from any hotel on the island to choose from if you want to leave your hotel for a meal, and when you leave your hotel, the odds of ANYONE approaching you (other than a taxi driver) is slim to none. Touts leave Zamalek hotels alone because they really can't tell you from the Ambassador of Norway's sister/brother/mother/father, and if they got caught harrassing diplomats or their families, they would be in some trouble. They tend to gravitate to the hotels where they can more easily tell who is a tourist.

What ever you decide, I hope you will have a good time - especially if you go forward with your trip to Egypt.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your input. I have been sharing these with my husband. We decided to cancel our trip. Better safe than sorry. We will definitely visit Egypt, but at a more peaceful time when we can enjoy without worrying about our safety each time we step out. Our decision to cancel the trip is a big relief to our families as well.

Jaya
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:43 AM

jaya2011 - If cancelling your trip makes you and your families relieved, then I guess that's good. I would not have cancelled, but that's me.

And I agree with Casual_Cairo's suggestion of Zamalek. Great area of the city.
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 01:30 AM

Hello
Just back from Egypt, I had a trip for 17 days, the only problem on a street in Down Town, in fact between my hotel Kempinski and that street around 400 M. but almost safe for tourist no thing happened, for 17 days there no story about any attack for any tourist. Its very quiet , nothing effect in my trip. flights on time, traffic was good not bad, in Aswan & Luxor you will feel there is no protest happen in Egypt .
So, go on and enjoy your trip