Olmoi Crater

Jul 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Olmoi Crater

Hi- We are going to be at the Ngorongoro Crater for three nights. One of the things that we have read about is doing a day hike to the Olmoti Crater. We would be open to other recommended day hikes in the Ngorongoro area as well. My research seems to indicate that we can organize something like this once we get to the crater. Is this true? If anyone has done this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,

Karmagal
Jul 25th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Holy cow! I can't seem to get anything right on this fourm! Olmoti Crater. Yikes.

Karmagal
Jul 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Karmagal,

Sorry I did not see this earlier. We did the Olmati Crater hike a few weeks ago and wold reccomend it, especially since you are at the Ngorongoro Crater for 3 nights.

Olmati is about a 30-45 minute drive from Ngorngoro. Actually we ended up going into the crater for a morning game drive then drove on to Olmati after noon. As I recall it took a while to drive back from Olmati to the Serena, maybe 1 hour or more.

We picked up an armed ranger in the morning, drove down the Ngorongoro crater for a game drive, then drove to a small maasai village where we picked up another local maasai guide. We had our lodge pack picnic lunches for all of us. The hike is quite steep at times. It is very pretty - great views. It is nice to get out on your feet and explore the hills. We climbed considerable altitude - maybe 1,000 feet. I would say that you would need to be in ok shape to do this. My 65 year old mother would not have made it!! We had a wonderful guide that arranged a special treat for us. He talked the ranger and the maasai guide into taking us beyond the summit of the mountain down to the waterfall for our picnic lunch. It was wonderful eating our picnic at the edge of the waterfall.

We did not see any animals (close) and that was a good thing! The guide told us that they have encountered buffalo on occassion, thus the need for the armed ranger.

Here are my pictures from our safari. I do not know how to edit the order/name them so you will have to look for the pictures with us hiking with an armed ranger/waterfall to get an idea of what it is like.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...1&sort_order=0
Jul 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM

JazzDrew,
You can edit the order and add photo captions by clicking on the 'Edit' link that appears under your album when you're logged into your Kodak Gallery account. Then on the right hand side, there should be a Edit Album, click on that and it should list some options like Add Photo Titles and Rearrange Photos. To rearrange photos, you just drag and drop them where you want to change the order. Hope this helps.
Jul 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Patty,

Thank you for the advise, but I have tried that many times and nothing works! I click on rearrange and wait and nothing.

Same thing with naming pix. I spent hours writing captions for every photo in the ofotoNOW program but none of the captions came through.

And it takes forever upload the album (at least 10 hours). I have a cable modem with a 1 year old computer. This is driving me nuts!! Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Sorry! I didn't know you tried those steps already. I've never had a problem with the site. A new window should pop up when you click on Rearrange Photos. Maybe you can email their customer support? BTW your pics are great!
Jul 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much JazzDrew. Your pictures are great! I was thinking about doing what you did: Morning drive and then take the afternoon for Olmati.

I am in moderate/okay shape and my husband is in great shape so I think we will try it. It looks like a nice way to move around a bit. It sounds like we can arrange for the ranger and driver once we are there. We are staying at the Crater Lodge, do you have any idea if will they provide the driver or will we need to find someone? How much did this cost if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks,
Karmagal
Jul 27th, 2005, 01:26 PM
sandi

JazzDrew -

I'm sorry that you're having problems with the KodakGallery site for your recent. My posted album was a first for me uploading photos and in the end there are over 600 pics. Yes, alot and it did take some doing to "rearrange" "add comments" and whatever other functins are available.

What I found worked best for rearranging, was to group the photos together - same subject, place or in chronological order. After doing each grouping SAVE them. There's a "save" button on the top and bottom of the rearrange function. Then go back into the rearrange function and move another group.

For adding comments to each photo, you can do them as you go thru the album, or you can do the comments under an "add comments" function where the photo appears on the left with space on the right to enter your comments. This function accepts punctuation (periods commas, etc.), but not carrier returns (the system does this automatically). Again, remember to SAVE what you've entered.

If editing the photo - zooming, cropping, rotating or other, you have to remember to save these also - believe it's a click on the lower right of that function screen. And take my word... it's easy to forget to save any of these functions; I did often.

Yes, time consuming, and the more photos the longer it will take... but eventually they all get done. FYI - it took me almost three weeks to get my album posted.

You can find my album at:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...1&sort_order=0

You've got some really great photos from your trip... so I hope this helps.

Jul 27th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Hi Karmagal,

My husband and I trekked extensively in the Crater Highlands area while in Tanzania in December/January... we absolutely loved it! We trekked from the town of Nainokanoka (near the Olmoti Crater) to Lake Natron - it took about 4 days and was spectacular in terms of scenary as well as in terms of meeting the local people... I know that you wouldn't be trekking nearly as far (in fact, you'd be finishing around the point that we started!), but if you'd like, you can always take a look at my trip report ("26 Glorious Days in Tanzania") and it may encourage you to do even more trekking in the area... It was a tough but rewarding trek! We organized all of it before leaving for Tanzania through our tour company, East African Safari and Touring Company. It was a fabulous experience - enjoy whatever you end up doing!

Search this Thread