Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan

Nov 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan

Looks like this hotel is currently closed?? Would like to check availability for May 2011. Will it be reopened then?? Does anyone have info about what's happening?? Thanks.
Nov 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Now - regarding the hotel - sorry, I have no idea if they are on schedule or not. Did you look at their web site? Is there any contact information given there? Your best bet might be to contact the owners or the contractor working on it. Here is a good link to their site -

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fiche...he_hotel.shtml

Opps, I just opened it and it says it will reopen in Sept 2011. Even if they manage to hit that target, they won't be open in May for you.
The Basma Hotel next door isn't as nice (nothing else is as nice in Aswan), but it's not bad. Here is a link to it -

http://www.basmahotel.com/
Nov 13th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks C_C for the link to Basma. At least it's next to where I'd want to be! It actually may be where we end up. I also sent an e-mail to Sofitel as most sites I've checked say September 2011 but there is an odd one or two that say January 2011. It would be great news if it would be open for May 2011. I saw some pictures and knew it was where I wanted to stay.
Nov 13th, 2010, 07:58 AM

I just stayed at the Iberhotel and it was nice and had a great view of the Nile from the rooms and large outdoor terrace. Had everything you would expect. generous breakfast and free Wifi that worked well and was speedy. It is on the edge of town however.
Nov 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM

I've stayed at both of these hotels. They are as different from each other as can be but both are very nice. If I had my option between the two I would always choose the Old Cataract in one of the suites, but since it's closed when you will be there I don't think that you'll be disappointed at the Basma. Do not miss the museum across the road while you're there it is exceptional.