Search

Olarro or Cottar's?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olarro or Cottar's?

We will be staying just 5nts in the Mara before heading to Kigali and definitely want to stay at L.Gov's for 3nts. My agent is recommending one of these two camps as the last 2nts. I want an easy transfer(2-3hr game drive enroute ok) and small camp, no crowds, good animal viewing and walking. What do you recommend? I haven't read anything about Olarro here. Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
sandi

Olarro is too new, with few having been here, so no comments to be found.

Both are on private land which will allow for night game drives and walks. The transfer to either one should be about the same, at minimum 3/hrs, probably longer, if stopping for game viewing along the way. In November, I wouldn't think either is better than the other, most game will be scattered and the majority of wildebeests will have left for the Serengeti. But, there are resident herds to be found in/around the Mara. For sure, you won't find crowds.

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

I don't really want to be the first to test Olarro and Cottar's worries me a bit with the "theme camp" idea-maybe we will go to Mara Explorer or another tented camp not too far from LG-we only have 5nts in the Mara and I don't want to spend 3+hrs in a minibus transfer.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:43 PM
santharamhari

Moremiles,

Whatever your choice, i recommend spending at 5 nights in one location....reason being, the longer you spend time at one location you see more and get nice pictures.

Good example, chk out Kaye's pictures thread....she spent time in ONE location. Also, maybe you have seen Johan's pics, he spends more time in one spot....

Hari

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM
sandi

moremiles -

"theme" camp at Cottar's? What do you mean? These are lovely large, white canvas tents, all very private, no fencing, lovely grounds. The Cottar's Family has been in Kenya since the 1920s, raised families, and well respected. If anything, the Cottar's-type tents have been replicaed at newer camps.

As to Mara Explorer, check to see if they're open in November. They may not be - "short" rains!

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks-now I'm leaning towards staying all 5nts at Bateleur or L. Gov's but have heard that the balloons go up quite often at LG and it's very noisy at 4:30am.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM

i've stayed at both cottars and explorer and, personally, would recommend the latter unless your main priority is remoteness - you will see less vehicles at cottars but also less animals.

phil
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Phil and I seem to have read that somewhere also-guess we'll stay put at one camp for the 5nts-possibly Bateleur.